Chapter 11

Alaya's POV:

I arrived 10 minutes early for my first seminar. Myself and another female were the first to arrive, waiting outside the locked door.

"It appears that we arrived earlier than the professor," I murmured hesitantly.

"Yes, I was expecting to sit inside by now, preferably in a corner where no one could see me; I don't enjoy sitting in the front because I get anxious answering questions," she answered.

"By the way, my name is Alaya; what's yours?"

"My name is Tori, which is short for Victoria,'' she revealed.

Tori stood 5'3 inches tall and wore straight-cut jeans with a t-shirt featuring a photo of a pop band, I believe it was BTS but wasn't sure, Vans shoes, round glasses, and a bag crammed with badges at the front.

"Nice to meet you." I said. She had a guarded and humble demeanour. There was a moment of silence between us. The professor had come just in time, which was fortunate. We couldn't see his face since it was hidden behind a stack of folders, that had somehow managed to avoid collapsing. The professor only just got the door to the classroom open. We followed him in, and to my surprise, Tori sat next to me. I could see us becoming friends.

The class gradually began to fill up. Once all was done, the professor, who appeared to be disorganised, set up his table for a presentation.

"Good afternoon, students, my name is Professor Hayes, and I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all of you to medical school. You will study chemistry, biology, physics, and anatomy during your time here. Between the classroom and the laboratory, this will take place. I'll be showing you a video in a few minutes about what to expect over the next four years. I strongly advise anyone who can't stomach some of the content in the video to reconsider taking this course. If any of you have had a change of heart, you can pick up a transfer course application from my table at the end of the seminar, which must be completed and returned. Please keep in mind that you only have one month to transfer to a different course, so think carefully about what you want."

When the video started, I understood what the professor meant when he emphasized if we couldn't handle this course, we should drop it. As the film displayed footage of an autopsy, I witnessed one student vomit. I could feel the bile in my throat, but I was able to swallow it.

What was I doing in this place? I kept thinking to myself. It wasn't so much that I couldn't stomach what I saw in the video, as it was that I couldn't imagine myself as a doctor. This was not something I desired. As I walked down the steps, I went up to the professor's desk and took up an application, which I placed in my bag.

I then proceeded towards the bus stop because I didn't have any other lessons today.

Alex's POV:

After my tour with Alaya ended, I went to the arts department. Professor Green was on my case, and all I had to do was turn in my art before the deadline. I had already done a piece but was unhappy with the results, so I began a new one. I'm a perfectionist, so once I start working on something, I have to make sure it's flawless.

I'd spent about an hour and a half on a project that wasn't finished or to my liking. I felt I'd done enough for the day and would continue it the next day. For the time being, I needed to go home and change because I tutored children after school on weekdays and had been offered to teach two new students, which I didn't want to be late for. This was done to help pay for my rent and other expenses. I was relatively bright in secondary school and got outstanding grades, so this was a useful approach for me to earn money. I worked in a cafe on weekends. As a student, life was difficult.

As I approached the bus stop, she was there, humming away to a song. My heart glowed with joy. "Hi Alaya," I approached her and said.

"Oh hey," she said as she got her phone out to pause her playlist.

''How was your first day'', I asked.

''It was okay, nothing exciting, are you here to catch the bus?''

I answered, holding my hands in the air, "Yes, I am, and this time I won't be pushing in; I've learned my lesson, and I don't think I can handle another shouting."

She chuckled and said, "That's good to hear." 

"Oh, the bus has arrived, are you boarding this one?" she politely inquired.

''Yes, I'm getting on this one'' I responded. We waited in line, boarded the bus, swiped our bus tickets, and sat downstairs.

During the voyage, Alaya was relatively quiet. I couldn't figure out why.

Alaya's POV:

I couldn't help but think about what Professor Hayes suggested about changing courses if they weren't the right fit as I and Alex boarded the bus and sat down in our seats. How could I change my mind when my parents expected me to get a medical degree?

It was difficult for me to just change my course. I recall asking for a toy medical kit and costume for my ninth birthday and refusing to take it off. According to my mother, I slept in the costume every night. My parents didn't grow out of their desire for me to be a "fake doctor," but I did. From then on, whenever we had family parties or get-togethers, someone would always ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. My parents would jump in and say, "Oh our Alaya is going to be a doctor, she used to adore dressing up as one when she was younger." I've never been able to speak out for myself. I'd just smile and go with the flow.

I never imagined myself studying medicine at university, not for me, but for my parents.

I got up as my destination drew closer. I stepped off the bus after saying my goodbyes to Alex.

When I arrived home, my two eleven-year-old twin brothers, Harris and Kamran, were engaged in a wrestling match. Harris appeared to be attempting a risky manoeuvre when he jumped from the top of eight steps and landed on Kamran, who was at the bottom. "What are you two doing! How many times has mum warned you not to wrestle?" I shouted.

"Shut up Alaya!! we're untouchable, get out of our way before you become my next victim," Harris yelled. My siblings were, to put it mildly, absolute terrors, and they were not intellectually gifted.

I went into the kitchen because I smelled a lovely aroma flowing from there. As usual, Mum was preparing a meal. Today, however, was different; she had prepared more dishes than usual.

"What's the occasion, mum? Why have you made extra dishes?" I inquired.

"Oh, sweetheart, a new tutor is on the way to teach your brother's, because the last one refused to return after they stuffed her bag with live slugs. I'm hoping to bribe the new tutor to stay rather than flee like the old one by feeding him whenever he visits. I'm hopeful this will work."

My brother's were not the easiest to teach. My parents wanted me to concentrate on my studies, so they hired tutors when I tried to teach them myself. Unfortunately, none of them stayed because my brothers always made sure they didn't return.

Best of luck to the next sucker!!

Hey lovelies,

I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Please vote and comment as this would mean so much to me- S