Chapter 42

Alayas POV

I awoke in a dimly lit, empty room. I looked around the room for Alex, but he was nowhere to be found. To get rid of the gloom, I drew the curtains open. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea, as I quickly regretted it when the brightness squinted my eyes. Alex's bed was already made up. As I turned back to make my bed, I noticed a little vase filled with lavender flowers. They were the ones we spotted in the field yesterday. I instantaneously smiled and leaned down to inhale the fragrance. In front of the vase, there was a note with my name on it. When I opened the note, it read:

'Happy birthday to the girl who lights up my world!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to wish you in person but I had to get up early to get some things done. I've brought you a cup of hot coffee and a croissant as I know how 'hangry' you can get.

Love, A. x'

It was my birthday, and the one time I was looking forward to celebrating it, Alex wasn't here. I bit into my croissant and sipped my coffee, since he was right, I was 'hangry'. I resigned myself to the fact that my birthday would be another ordinary day.

I rose from my bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower. I wore a salmon pink flowing dress with strappy heels and a cropped denim jacket. I was wearing a silver necklace with my name in Arabic engraved on it. I adored wearing it on my birthday because it was something my mother had brought for me years ago. I wore pastel studs on my ears. I parted my hair in the centre and curled it loosely.

On my upper eyelid, I applied mascara, a warm nude eyeshadow, and eye liner, as well as a warm nude glossy lipstick on my lips.

I went to my first class of the day, art design. Drawing and painting would come next, followed by studio arts. As I sat in the first lesson, I was tense and anxious. I kept checking my phone to see if Alex had texted me, but there was no way to tell because there was still no signal. I wasn't able to concentrate because I couldn't stop thinking about how disappointed I was that I hadn't seen Alex this morning. Where had he gone? This was not the kind of behaviour I had anticipated from him.

I completed all the three classes. I walked up to the canteen hoping to meet Alex, but he wasn't there, much to my disappointment. I wasn't in the mood to eat, and despite getting some pasta, I didn't eat any of it. I just kept circling my fork around the plate.

I proceeded to the cabin, only to discover that Alex was not there. I sat on my bed, wallowing in self-pity. I shifted my gaze to the side and noticed another paper on the bedside table bearing my name. I had put the note from earlier in my handbag, so this was a new one from Alex. When I opened it, I saw the following:

'Alaya,

Follow the lavender flower trail on the path ahead.

Love, A. x '

When I read the note, I squealed with delight. Alex hadn't forgotten about me. He's clearly planned something. It doesn't matter to me what he has planned as long as I get to see him. I stepped outdoors to check out the start of the route. I saw a lavender bloom on the ground and proceeded down the trail as instructed.

As I approached my location, I noticed Alex waiting for me with his hands crossed at his waist and a beautiful smile on his face, which I had become so fond of. He was dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a white shirt. His hair was brushed to one side. In his casual clothing, he looked so handsome.

As I approached him, I couldn't help but notice that the location he was in looked familiar. I recognised it right away. It was the location depicted in the University painting on the wall. The one with the blue lake and towering trees, one of which had a man-made swing built out of an old vehicle tyre, as well as flowers. That place was real? I assumed he had made it up and painted his ideas on a canvas. His artwork did it credit, but seeing it in person was incredible.

Alex had set up a picnic, as indicated by a plaid blanket on the ground, a picnic basket on top, and a guitar. He had strung lights around the trunks of some of the trees. The day was drawing to a close and night was approaching, so the lights shone brightly. From one end of a tree to the other, a 'happy birthday' banner was hung. The setting was so romantic. I was blown away.

"Hey beautiful, happy birthday. Wow you look amazing.", he remarked as he examined me from top to bottom. He hugged me and pointed to the lights and picnic set up, saying, "I hope you aren't mad at me for leaving so early. As you can see, I've been rather busy".

I winked at him and said, "So this was the thing you needed to get sorted, then. I love it. Alex, is this the place depicted in your painting?" I inquired further.

"You remember?" he asked, surprised that I did.

"Of course I remember. I love that painting" I said to him while soaking in the sights.

'I don't just love that painting, I love you', I wanted to say, but I refrained.

He gave me a warm smile. "Come, take a seat on the blanket."   He urged as he gestured me to the picnic area.

"I brought you here because I wanted us to have some alone time before we left tomorrow morning, and I thought seeing the sunset from here would be wonderful. This is a favourite spot of mine, and I wanted to save the best for last ",  he remarked as he took my hands in his.

"Alex, it's perfect. I couldn't have wished for perfect birthday" I returned his smile.

Hey Lovelies,

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please comment and vote-S