Chapter 45

Alex's POV

Our weekend trip was coming to a close. Alaya made me get up an hour earlier than we needed, to prepare for our trip home. It's a good thing I love this girl since I wouldn't give up my sleep for anyone else. To be honest, I would've gotten up the first time she asked since I can't say no to her, but she kept teasing and tickling me, which I admittedly enjoyed a little too much.

This weekend away has been wonderful. Just being around her has taught me a lot about her. I realise we're back in the 'real world,' but I'm certain we'll be able to make this work.

My girl needed help with her suitcase because she was having trouble pulling it. While I placed our suitcase in the luggage compartment area, I motioned for her to board the coach.

Professor Green coughed to gain my attention and said, "Mr Scott, good morning to you."

"Good morning Professor",  I replied, expecting him to say something ridiculous.

"I take it you had a great weekend with a certain someone?" He asked, twirling his moustache with his fingers.

I tried to avoid the question.  "Professor, it's been a fantastic trip. Thank you for allowing me come here again"  I said quickly so that I could board the coach and join my girl.

"Mr Scott, I'm aware that you disobeyed my no-mixing order. I'm not stupid. I saw you enter Miss Khan's cabin a few times. I didn't question you about it because I could see you were working on something special for her. I take it you both like one another?" , he inquired, politely.

Oh, fuck! This is what Alaya was afraid of. So nothing comes back on her, I'm going to have to take the blame.

"Professor, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disobey your orders but there was no phone signal and it wasn't Alaya's idea...." I attempted to explain, but he interrupted me.

With one hand, he motioned for me to stop talking. "I'm not here to scold you, Mr Scott. I thought what you did for Miss Khan was thoughtful. Let's just say this weekend has been full of unexpected surprises. I was able to see you from a different perspective. A side that is very charming. She brings out the best in you, in my opinion. Don't mess it up."  He finished talking and then tapped me on the shoulder before he walked over to the coach.

Was that a backhanded compliment from Professor Green? If that's the case, I'll accept it. I'm not sure how to react because he never praises me. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled that he sees how wonderful Alaya and I are together. This trip really has been great, I thought to myself.

Alayas POV

The trip back seemed shorter then I remembered it. Maybe it felt that way because I was enjoying cuddling up with Alex and knew that as soon as we returned to campus, we'd have to go home separately.

We'd arrived at the campus. Alex helped me in removing my suitcase from the luggage compartment. I asked him to leave and return home since I didn't want my mother to see us together. I waited for my mother in the parking lot after he went, but she was nowhere to be seen.

I dialled my mother's phone number to inquire about her whereabouts. "Where are you, Mum? I texted you to tell you that we'd be here in twenty minutes!", I exclaimed angrily.

"I'm really sorry, Alaya. My car won't start, so I told your brother to text you while I talked with the breakdown recovery guy. But don't worry, Zayn has offered to drive you home. He was here to see the boys and could see I was having car issues. He'll be there  any moment ". My mother attempted to reassure me but I wasn't accepting it.

"Mum, why did you have to tell him to come pick me up? I could've called an Uber!", I replied, my tone icy. My flesh crawled just hearing her speak his name. I didn't want to be around him at all.

"Don't be silly Alaya. There is no need to waste money when Zayn can pick you up. I think the breakdown recovery guy has arrived to fix the car, so I'll have to put the phone down now. Bye!", she said, clearly not paying attention to what I was saying.

I stomped my feet in frustration. I didn't want to be in the car with Zayn, even though I made my feelings clear to him the last time, yet he still had the audacity to volunteer and pick me up. I noticed him pull into the parking lot just as I was going to request an Uber.

When he parked, I was hesitant at first. He emerged from the shadows and approached me. I rolled my eyes to the side and folded my arms.

He asked me, as if nothing had happened since the last time we saw one other, "Hi Alaya, do you need any help with your suitcase?"

"I'm fine thank you. You didn't have to come pick me up. I would have requested an Uber. You are free to go if you want to." I said coldly.

"There's no need to call an Uber. I've arrived. Look, I know I was out of line the last time we saw each other, but I'd like to make things right. Could you please come to the car? I promised your mum that I would bring you home ", he pleaded.

"Fine, I'll come," I said, my guard up. "But only because I've been waiting in this parking lot for a long time and need to get home."

I had a hard time pulling my suitcase. I'm an idiot for packing so much. He took control since he must have observed my struggle. "Geez! What exactly did you pack into this? It weighs a tonne ", he added as he shoved the bag into the boot of his car.

I didn't even answer him, instead rolled my eyes.

Zayn climbed into the driver's seat and shifted his weight to face me. "Look, Alaya, I didn't intend to hurt you that day. I'm hoping we'll be able to move on from that. Please accept my apologies".

I couldn't help myself; I needed to make sure he understood what he'd done was unacceptable.

"I don't want you to ever act like that with me again, Zayn. You have no idea how much it upset me to see that side of you. I'm not sure I recognise you anymore. We spent so much of our childhood together, and what you did to me was not at all like the Zayn I knew. It was extremely painful for me. Can you just please take me home; I'm exhausted from my trip."

My mother and brothers were waiting for me when I got home, so we could all dine together and talk about my trip. Even though it was only for two days, it was the first time I had been away from them, and they were eager to hear what I had been up to.

Hey Lovelies,

Please vote and comment- S
P.S Dedicated this chapter to my lovely friend Shel 😉