Chapter 50

Alex POV

I had arrived at my house only to discover that I had forgotten my key. "Oh for fucks sake!" I said to myself.

When I picked up my phone, I saw that Alaya had phoned. I hadn't heard her call because my phone was on silent. She texted me about my wallet being left behind. Let me try my roommate before I go all the way back because waiting for the bus took forever. My roommate was not answering. I suppose I'll have to return to grab my wallet.

Alex: Babe, just read your message. I'm on my way. x

I finally made it to Alaya's home. The front door was wide open, which was odd. I approached with caution, as this was not something I was expecting. I noticed my wallet on the floor in the corridor and grabbed it. I called Alaya's name but received no response. I went to the living room since something didn't feel right. I checked the dining room but Alaya wasn't there; the light was still on, and Alaya's phone was on the table. I then made my way to the kitchen. I returned to the corridor after failing to find her. I noticed a tall man appear out of nowhere, sprinting towards the front door. "Hey! Stop!" I shouted, as I tried to catch up with the person. I rushed outside, scanning both sides of the street, but they were nowhere to be found. My heart was racing from the panic I was experiencing, so I dashed back inside the house and up the stairwell. 

I saw Alaya's name on a door and went over to check, the lights in the bedroom were turned off. The door was slightly ajar. When I opened the door, I found Alaya sitting in the corner of her room, arms around her legs and rocking back and forth and whimpering.

When I turned on the lights, my eyes felt like they were bulging out of their sockets. Alaya's face was bruised, and blood was dripping from a few spots. Her pyjama top was torn and her hair was a mess. I knelt down cautiously near her, as she had not yet detected my presence.

"Alaya," I murmured gently. She glanced at me, tears streaming down the side of her face and began to scream.

"Please, don't..... please don't hurt me. I'm sorry. I'm sorry", she continued to say, yelling and crying. I tried to restrain her, but it was pointless because she began to hit me with the remaining energy in her body. I got a hold of her and tried to cradle her, but she passed out in my arms.

"Alaya.... Alaya..." As I drew her closer to my chest, I said in a panicked tone. I took my phone from my pocket and dialled 999 right away.

"999. What's your emergency?" A female operative asked.

"Police and ambulance. I think my girlfriends been assaulted. Please hurry!" I told the operative. While cradling Alaya in my arms, I provided the operator the information they needed. She was still unconscious.

Within 10 minutes, an ambulance and police officers arrived on the site. I summoned them to the second floor. They asked me to let go of her when they came in, but I couldn't.

"Sir, please come downstairs with us and leave the paramedics to do what they need to do," one of the police officers said.

"But, I can't leave her. She needs me."  I responded, oblivious to the fact that tears were streaming down the side of my face.

"She's in good hands, sir. Please come downstairs ",  the officer went on to say.

With a heavy heart, I followed the police officers downstairs. I sat on the sofa, crouched low, my hands in my hair. What had happened? This doesn't make any sense. I was just here a short time ago.

"We're going to ask you a few questions now. What is your name and how do you know the victim?" A female officer approached me and asked me a question. She had a pen and notepad ready in hand.