Chapter 30

Alaya's POV:

I arrived home just in time for dinner. I don't like lying to my parents but once the truth is out about my relationship with Alex, I won't have to sneak around anymore.

When I opened the front door, my father was standing in the hallway, seemingly waiting for me. Something about my father's expression suggested he wasn't pleased to see me. Could Zayn have told him about me rejecting his proposal.

"Alaya, can you please come to the living room. Your mother and I would like to speak with you about something important". He spoke calmly as he walked into the living room with his arms crossed behind his back.

I placed my purse on the table and followed my dad into the living room. My mother was already seated on the sofa. My father took a seat in his favourite arm chair and motioned for me to join them.

"What is it, Mum and Dad? Is everything all right?"  In an anxious tone, I inquired.

"Alaya, Zayn approached me this morning and asked for my permission. He wanted to propose to you, and I said yes since I believe he is a suitable match for you. However, I'm disappointed to learn that you turned down his proposal. Why would you do something so stupid?"  he inquired, his tone dejected.

"It's true, Dad, I turned down his proposal. I wasn't expecting him to sulk  about it to you. How childish of him!",  I retorted aggressively.

"Alaya, you haven't answered my question!" My father yelled. One thing about my father is that he has never had reason to shout at me. It was the first time, and it jolted me awake.

"Why are you so upset with me, Dad? If you're looking for an answer, the reason I turned down his proposal was because I do not love Zayn. He is just a friend. Maybe Zayn wouldn't have made such a fuss if you all weren't so obsessed with us getting married when we were young." I attempted to make my point, but it didn't help in the least.

"What exactly does love have to do with anything? Your mother and I had an arranged marriage and we got to know one another after. Why is it so difficult for you to share the same views we do? Zayn is attractive, he is well educated, and he will be able to support you because he has a good job " My father remarked, still enraged.

"What you and mum have is wonderful, and it has worked out well for you both. Dad I'm not opposed to arranged marriages, but why should I commit to Zayn if there's no romantic connection between us? Mum has told me how much you two liked each other initially and that is why you proposed. Zayn will always be a friend to me, nothing more. Also, why should I rely on Zayn to take care of me when I am capable of doing so? You taught me to be independent and to rely on myself, so why are you turning back on your own teaching?" I struggled to explain this in a respectful manner, but I had to put my point across. 

"I'm really disappointed in you, Alaya. I can't believe you're throwing such a great opportunity  away to be with a successful guy who will cherish you. I can't even look at you..."   My father commented, before leaving the living room.

"Dad..." I whispered as I tried to stop him. But it was pointless. I wasn't going to be emotionally bullied into doing something I didn't want to do.

"Are you going to say something, Mum, or do you agree with dad?"  I inquired, oblivious to the fact that my eyes were welling up with tears.

"I can't say I agree with your decision, but I will love you regardless. You know there is nothing you can do that will change that. I had hoped that you and Zayn would marry one day, but if you don't want to be with him, I will respect your decision."  My mother comforted me by putting her arm across my shoulders. "Don't cry, Alaya; just give your dad some time to process this and he'll come round."

"Mum, I'm not going to change my mind,"  I told her as tears streamed down my face.

"Come on, sweetheart, go upstairs and freshen up because it's late. Do you want me to bring you some food?"  My mother had inquired of me. She was always able to comfort me.

"I'm not hungry, mum. I'm going to go to bed" I answered.

When I got to my room, I checked my phone to see whether Alex had texted me. That's odd, he always texts me to see whether I've arrived home safely, but he hasn't. I was desperate to speak with him and tell him what had happened between me and Zayn. I tried dialling his phone, but it kept going straight to the answering machine.

Alaya: Hey Alex,  why is your phone off? I really need to talk to you....

I never received a response and somehow ended up falling asleep.

Hey Lovelies, please vote and comment- S