Chapter 59

4 YEARS LATER

Alaya POV

"Cindy Why don't you paint the little flowers with this brush and these two colours together? I believe they will work well together ", I said, smiling at her, to which she responded with a nod. Monday through Friday, I was still working at the art gallery as an assistant to the art director. On the weekends, I began teaching young women who had come to a women's refuge to seek help from their abusive partners, to paint as a technique to ease the pain and anxiety they were experiencing.

My therapist, Dr Carter, who worked at the refuge, informed me about the amazing work the refuge did and how they were looking into alternative therapies for women to deal with their trauma. I suggested painting, and because I have a degree in it, I offered to teach the women. Due to the refuge's reliance on public funds and charitable contributions, I willingly offered my skills. Teaching the women to paint provided me with a great deal of satisfaction. Some of the women that came to the refuge had been sexually assaulted. I was able to connect with them on a deep level, and this was my way of helping them.

I was broken when I left everything behind. I never imagined I'd be where I am now. After the trial, I felt like my road to healing had finally begun when Zayn was sentenced to twenty years imprisonment. I used to be a sceptic of therapy, thinking it was only for attention seekers, but I know it changed my life. Dr Carter was able to assist me in accepting what had happened to me and developing new coping mechanisms. She showed me that Alex was not my weakness, as I had assumed, but rather my safe haven. Rocking back and forth while clutching my legs together had become a coping method for me. Dr Carter guided me in changing that, and the bracelet Alex gave me, to my surprise, was the key to controlling my anxiety. When I was feeling anxious, I would twirl and touch my infinity bracelet, which I cherished, and think of him.

I was grateful for the wonderful memories Alex had given me. I couldn't remember a day when I wasn't thinking about him. In my heart, he will always hold a special place. I can only hope that he is happy wherever he is.

"Alaya, I have some wonderful news for you. I'm not sure how you achieved it, but your boss contacted me about the art programme you teach and expressed interest in working with us. He stated that he will host an auction to raise funds for the refuge using the artworks produced by the women here. Can you believe it? The best part is he said there will be no fee to us. He also indicated that they are merging with another gallery in a different city, and that the owners from that gallery will be present. They apparently run a lot of charity auctions, and they heard about the amazing painting work you've been doing with the women. He also stated that this would be best opportunity to complete the merger." In an excited tone, Dr Carter told me. She couldn't keep her excitement in check. The refuge was receiving more women than they had anticipated, and the financial impact was huge. Some days, I met women who had been turned away and told to seek sanctuary elsewhere because there was no place for them. Dr Carter had been attempting to raise funds ever since, but had been unsuccessful. I had proposed to my boss that we hold a charity auction for the refuge, which would generate a lot of exposure for the gallery and lead to future reservations from our more affluent clients.

"Dr Carter, that's excellent news. I'm delighted to have helped. I think we'll have to get these amazing women to produce some of their best work." In the same enthusiastic tone, I replied. "Did you say something about the gallery merging with another gallery?" I inquired more because this was the first I'd heard of it.

"Yes, your boss mentioned it to me, but I'm afraid I don't have any more information on it." Before exiting the room, she replied to me.

***********

On Monday morning, I arrived at work prepared for the day. Despite the fact that working in an art gallery was not my first choice, I enjoyed it. I was able to be surrounded by art every day, which made me happy by itself. The excitement I felt when I was a part of discovering new art and artists was immeasurable. Before joining him in the meeting room, I had made a fresh cup of coffee for my boss Rob and myself in the staff lounge. 

I was prepared for the week ahead with my pen and notepad in hand. "Good morning, Alaya. Thank you for reading my mind and bringing me a hot cup of coffee." As I handed Rob his favourite mug, he said to me.

"Good morning, Rob," I said. "I just wanted to thank you for agreeing to the auction. It will be great exposure for the gallery and money raised will be for a worthwhile cause. I've contacted the local press and will be spreading the word about the event on social media."

Rob was a wonderful boss. He was in his mid-twenties, tall, dark, and charming. In his attire, he always appeared to be well-dressed and professional. He donned a slim cut charcoal two-piece suit with a salmon pink tie today. His hair was perfectly combed. He always wore a nice watch and a handkerchief that was the same colour as his tie and folded like a boat in his breast pocket.

"It's not a problem at all, Alaya. It wouldn't be right to say no because I could tell it means a lot to you. On another note, why didn't you show up for the planned night out, Sarah arranged? ", he said, with a frown and pout on his face. He seemed disappointed that I hadn't shown up.

"I don't go out on the weekend. Plus, as you know, I teach painting to the women at the refuge, so..." I gave my response. I dreaded going out with my co-workers every time they planned a night out. I had grown so accustomed to being alone that I had forgotten how to interact with others. My nervousness was rising, so I began twirling my bracelet.

He didn't take his gaze away from me as he said, "You were missed, Alaya."

"Yeah, right. By who, Rob?" Unintentionally, I scoffed and moved my fingers away from my bracelet and onto my hip.

"Never mind. Let's crack on, shall we?", he responded, deflecting my question.

"I've got some other news to share with you. We'll be merging with another art gallery from a different city. This will be a fantastic opportunity for us to grow, and the gallery will be under new ownership as a result. None of the employees will be affected. All of this will remain the same, although the gallery's name may change depending on the proprietors. They'll come to see us two days before the auction to learn more about the charity auction we'll be doing for the women's refuge. Surprisingly, I had mentioned this to them briefly, and the discussion seemed to be mostly focused on the auction. If all goes well, I'll need you to bring your A-game. We have to impress these guys, and I'm confident you will."   Rob said to me, still gazing at me far longer then required.

"No problem. Leave this with me Rob. I'll make sure they're so impressed that they'll want to sign on the dotted line on the same day."

Please vote and comment. I promise you the next chapter you will love- S