Chapter 43

Alex POV

Last night, we slept on Alayas bed, and it was the best night's sleep I'd ever had. The fact that she was sleeping next to me validated my feelings for her and confirmed that she was the one for me. I had gotten up so early this morning to prepare for Alaya's birthday celebration. I had to make today extra special for her because it was her birthday.

I was planning a picnic for us and to enjoy the sunset by the blue lake. The lake where we would have the picnic was the one in my painting. I wanted Alaya to see the lake from my painting in its original form as I knew she adored it. I had packed some solar string lights that needed to be placed around the tree trunks during the day, in order for them to light up in the evening. The day was warm so that was an advantage. 

I managed to get the set up all sorted and then grabbed a few items from the canteen for our picnic. I showered, changed and had left a note in our cabin for Alaya to follow the path that had the lavender flower trail so she could locate me. 

While waiting beside the lake, I felt nervous. My heart was pounding at a hundred beats per minute. I turned around when I heard footsteps and clasped my hands together in an attempt to relax. She was a sight to behold. 

We exchanged pleasantries before I motioned for her to sit on the blanket and took her hand in mine. 

"What's in the basket?", she said as she tried to take  a peak inside it. 

I began to unpack the contents of the basket and spread them out on the picnic blanket. I'd gotten small quiches, mini sandwiches, crunchy vegetable batons, humous, iced tea, and chocolate-covered strawberries, which I'd laid out neatly. With a loving expression on her face, Alaya kept glancing across at me. She was the one who couldn't take her gaze away from me this time. It was I who was blushing.

I tried to hide my nervousness by asking, "What would you like to eat?"

"You choose, Alex," she said, her smile remaining on her face as she stared at me.

I handed Alaya her plate of food and iced tea. We sat admiring the view around us while sipping our refreshing drink, enjoying the pleasant breeze that would pass by. "Alex, this place is magical; it's as if I'm in a dream. The happiest dream any girl could have. Thank you for making this day special for me. I'm not a big fan of birthdays, but this one will go down as my favourite."

When she said she liked the surprise, I was overjoyed. All I wanted was for her to have a good time and for me to be able to celebrate with her. We'd finished our food, and I gathered the confidence to do what I'd been dreading all day.

"Alaya, I got you something...... you know..... for your birthday. But...before I.... I present it to you, I prepared a song for you"  I added, my nerves getting the best of me once more.

"Alex, you got me a present. But you've already done so much," she remarked, pointing around. 

Before I changed my mind, I grabbed my guitar. Alaya sat back and waited for me, smiling at me and giving me her complete attention. Now there's no turning back.

Can't Help Falling In Love- Kina Grannis version (As this is the version I imagine when Alex sings it)

Wise men say only fools rush in,
But I can't help falling in love with you,
Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?,
If I can't help falling in love with you.

Like a river flows shorely to the sea,
Darling so it goes some things are meant to be,
Take my hand, take my whole life too,
For I can't help falling in love with you.

Like a river flows shorely to the sea,
Darling so it goes some things are meant to be,
Take my hand, take my whole life too,
For I can't help falling in love with you.

For I can't help falling in love with you. 🎵

I sat my guitar on the ground.  Her hands were on her chest, and I could see tears welling up in her eyes, which she was fighting. I slid closer to her and got up on my knees. She climbed up off the ground and did the same. I pulled out a wrapped present from my back pocket and signalled for her to open the package. When I handed it to her, she exclaimed with joy. I didn't pull my face away while she unpacked it so I could capture her reaction when she realised what was inside. She was taken aback when she saw it. It was a sterling silver infinity bracelet that I had personalised. It was inscribed with both of our initials.

"Alaya Khan, you are so amazingly... beautifully... awesomely... maybe... no most definitely the most precious of all precious things. I lose myself in you, and without you, I find myself yearning to be lost again. Your love is something that I can't control. You are constantly on my mind and in my heart. I had never experienced the emotion of love until I met you.  When I get closer to you, my heart misses its beats. But now  that I have come to know what love is, I don't want to let it go. So here goes, I'm madly in love with you. And if you'll have me, I promise to always love, cherish, and support you no matter what life throws our way. So what do you say?"  I said, my nerves fading now that I'd said what I wanted.

Alaya moved in close, placing the palms of her hands on both sides of my face, and without any warning sealed her lips with mine. I'd been resisting the temptation to kiss her for a few weeks, so having her make the initial move was incredible. My emotions were raging, and our eye contact expressed desire, as if two people were sharing a bridge of energy. In that moment, it felt like time was standing still. I could feel and hear her heart beating. I could taste the lipstick on her tender and soft lips as we moved our heads in unison. It tasted caramelised and chocolaty.  Alaya attempted to move away, I pleaded with her not to with a quiet moan, but she insisted on doing so.

"I've never done anything like that before," Alaya admitted as she tried to catch her breath.

For a brief moment, we locked eyes before she burst out laughing, and I followed suit. I felt a flash of butterflies in my stomach after the kiss.

I couldn't take the distance, even though she was only a few inches away. I leaned in closer, my forehead resting on hers once more, our noses in contact. Her fingers combed through my hair while her other hand clutched one of my wrists, as she closed her eyes.

"Alex, I love you too," she said, her eyes still closed and a smile on her face.

"You do?" I inquired again, double-checking that I hadn't misheard.

"Yes, Alex. I love you and want to be with you ", she cheerfully said.

My body was being charged with an energy that I couldn't explain. I didn't expect tonight to turn out this way, but I was thrilled. All that mattered to me was Alaya.

"Hey, do you think we'll be able to do that kissing thing again?" I joked, as I wasn't expecting it to happen anytime soon. But she gladly obliged. My girl was full of surprises today.

Hey Lovelies,

I hope you all enjoyed reading this chapter- S