Chapter 47

Alaya POV

I'd been home for a few days from the art programme. Alex and I had become inseparable. We took advantage of every opportunity to spend time together. Whether it was at a university, his flat, my house, or even the café, one thing was certain: what we both felt was real.

I had mustered the courage to sit down with my parents two days after returning from my trip and inform them that I had changed my major. My mother had handled the news much better than I had anticipated. As for my father nothing I did these days seemed to be good enough.

**********************

(Flashback to the day Alaya broke the news...)

"Alaya, I don't understand how you seem to be making these poor decisions concerning your future these days and not consulting us. Are our opinions not important anymore?",  my father said, his voice dripping with disappointment.

"Dad, of course, both of your opinions matter to me. Yes, I should have talked to you both because I know how much you care about my future, but I was afraid to do so. I want you both to be proud of me no matter what I choose to do."  I responded, attempting to make my point.

"Alaya, nothing you do will make us feel less proud of you."   With a warm touch on my hand and a smile, my mother interjected, reassuring me. "Isn't that right, Adam?", she asked my father, her stare directed at him, as if to get him to say something similar.

"Well, Laila, there's nothing we can do about it now. I suppose this is another thing we'll just have to accept."   My father responded by avoiding eye contact with me and gazing at my mother. He stood up and walked away.

"Mum, what is wrong with dad? It's as though he doesn't love me anymore. He has never treated me this way before. Shall I change back to medicine, is that what he wants?"  I questioned my mother about my choice, since I didn't want to disappoint my father.

"Alaya, don't be silly. Your father loves you. If an art degree is what will make you happy then you will continue with it. That's final. I'm sorry Alaya, that you were unable to tell me how you felt. I feel guilty about pressuring you to pursue a medical degree."  To keep me happy, my mother said.

"I'm so sorry, mum. I just didn't want to let any of you down." I confessed to her.

"Well, as long as you are happy with the degree you are doing now, that's all that matters. Don't worry about your father. He will be fine, in a few days", my mother reassured me.

"I love you, mum," I replied as I fiercely hugged her. "I love you too, sweetheart", she responded. 

**********************

My parents had packed their things for Zayn's cousins wedding, which they had been invited to. They planned to leave one day ahead of schedule and stay at a B & B. I had to look after the twins. Alex was already on his way because he had a tutoring session with them. My parents had put their suitcases into the boot and were hugging and kissing me and the boys one by one.

My mother was a melodramatic queen. While lecturing me, she had tears in her eyes. She was acting as if she was going away for a month. "Now, don't let your brothers eat too much chocolate; you know how hyper they become when they do. Bed time is at 9pm sharp. Lock all of the windows and doors. I love you all. I'm going to miss you all.",  she remarked, her voice melodramatic.

"Stop behaving like a drama queen, Mum; you'll only be gone for two days. You're acting as though we'll never see each other again. We're going to be OK. Have fun. Goodbye, Dad "  I replied as I waved them off and they drove away.

Hey Lovelies,

Please vote and comment- S