Chapter 67

2 WEEKS LATER

Alex POV

The auction that night was a huge success. Not only for myself and Alaya, but also for the amount of money raised for the women's refuge. I was so proud of my girl. That night, she went above and beyond.

I had signed the documents for the two galleries to merge. It was basically a no-brainer. I wasn't going to let Alaya go again because fate had brought us back together. I had made the decision to relocate to Elmdale. Alaya was planning to return to the city for me, but I persuaded her to stay. The village was very charming and I knew we would love living here.

Today was such a special day for me. I was excited about the beginning of an incredible journey. I was going to take my Shahadah (Islamic declaration of faith) at the mosque. I planned to do this when my nana died. I was in a dark place when Alaya left and Amar helped me greatly. For a few years, I questioned various aspects of the faith, studying and learning everything I could. When I asked Amar a question about Islam and what it said about specific topics, he never gave me his personal opinion but instead led me to a chapter or verse in the Quran. To my amazement, the verses I read always brought me peace and answered my questions. I had become enamoured with the Quran and would frequently read it when I was in question. I spent endless hours learning Arabic prayers. I learnt about Islam in a overly aware attitude, almost as if I was seeking for a way out, hoping to find anything I didn't agree with so I wouldn't convert. This didn't happen though. I found peace and solace. 

 I finally figured out why I didn't take my Shahadah earlier: I was missing a piece of my jigsaw puzzle. Alaya. I'd always wanted her to be there when I took my Shahadah, and the day had finally arrived. Alaya kept asking whether I was certain about my choice of converting to Islam. She was checking to make sure I wasn't being pressured into anything. This made me love her even more since she had already accepted me for who I was. I was committed to being a Muslim though.

Alex: Peanut, when I take my Shahadah today, I want you to be there with me.  I love you so much and can't wait to be with you. x

Alaya: I love you more. I'm going to be there, right by your side. 💑

My heart began to race as I entered the mosque, and my emotions were all over the place. I'd only visited the mosque a few times before. The Imam graciously agreed to let us sit in a private room with a few witnesses, which included Alaya, Amar, and my mother. Alaya had planned for this to take place in a private room and had already outlined the process to me. The Imam had also explained the steps as well.  My heart was racing, but I was confident that I was prepared. I was guided through the words by the Imam. My heart continued to pound through my chest as I felt everything and everyone in the room fade away. I concentrated on every word, as they rolled off my tongue. I wanted to remember this day for the rest of my life. When I recited the words in Arabic and then in English, I became emotional. Alaya stayed by my side the entire time, even crying tears of joy. When the Imam congratulated me on my new life as a Muslim, I hugged her first. 

Alaya's POV

I was so proud of Alex. I never thought he'd ever convert to Islam. I accepted him the way he was, because he was perfect in my eyes. I had no idea he had been studying Islam, all those years we had been apart. I wanted to make sure he wasn't converting for the wrong reasons. He assured me he was converting for himself and that he knew why he had waited. It was because he wanted me to be there when he took his Shahadah. As if I was able to fall in love with this man more, then I already was.

A few days after the auction, Alex and I surprised my parents by visiting them to inform them that we were intending to marry. They lived in a neighbouring town to Elmdale.