Chapter 28

Zayn POV:

Alaya never fails to make my breath go away. I've always fancied her since we were children, but now that I've returned, it appears that her beauty has reached new heights. I'm completely smitten with her. We've always had a strong bond, and I'm sure she feels the same way. When I returned  home yesterday after a few years at university, the first thing I wanted to do was see Alaya. She wasn't at home when I visited, much to my dismay. When she returned, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the beauty in front of me. I'm sure my heart stopped beating for a second. Mrs Khan and my mum have always coupled us together when we were younger because they can see how wonderful we would be together. Alaya would always dismiss our parents' desire for us to be together because of feeling embarrassed, but I know she feels the same way.

I went to Alaya's house today because I wanted to seek her father's approval before proposing to her. Her parents have always liked me, and when I asked for permission, her father was overjoyed. I understand she is currently enrolled at University, but I figured there was no harm in us being engaged until she finishes and then we can marry. My life plan has always been to graduate, get a good job and then marry Alaya. Today I wanted to ask her the question, but she appeared to be distracted. All morning, I've noticed her glued to her phone.

I didn't realise who she was texting until she asked her dad if she could see her friend Tori. I offered to drive her so that I could spend time with her. She had gone upstairs to get ready.

My heart literally stopped beating when she came down the stairs. I had to catch my breath since her beauty  was breath-taking.

''Zayn, I'm ready now. You sure you're still okay dropping me off?'' she asked, jolting me back to reality.

"Uhhhmmm..... yes, I will drop you off," I replied.

We both walked up to my car, and I opened the door to welcome her in. "Thank you, Zayn," she said as she stepped inside the car, which I closed behind her.

"So, Alaya, where am I taking you?" As I fastened my belt, I enquired.

"T-House café on Bennetts Street, please," she replied, staring at her phone in her hand.

While driving away, I couldn't help but peek over at Alaya a few times. She was once again engrossed in her phone. Throughout our journey, there was complete silence. We had arrived at our location, and I had found a parking spot. I mustered the confidence to broach the subject of marriage, but I needed her undivided attention.

''Alaya before you go, do you think we could talk for a moment please. There's something really important I would like to discuss with you.'' I murmured, as I turned to face her.

''Sure, what is it Zayn'' she replied still looking at her phone.

"It might help if you put your phone down for a moment," I spoke a little colder than I intended.

She put her phone down and looked at me. 

''Oh geez!! Where do I begin. Okay here goes.'' I could feel sweat forming on my brow, as I was nervous. I reached for her hand, which she hadn't expected and said '' Alaya I have always loved you......''. She seemed stunned when I told her this. I continued because I needed to get these feelings out of my head.

"Well, I wanted to ask you how you felt about me since I came to your house today to ask your father's permission before I asked you a very important question." I grabbed a box from my pocket, which contained the ring I was ready to show her.

"Zayn, please stop," she urged, her hand lifting from my grip and a glum expression on her face.

''Zayn I'm sorry, but if you're thinking about proposing to me, you should reconsider because I don't share the same feelings. And my dad gave you his blessing? Was that why he winked at you when you offered to drive me here earlier?" she inquired, her tone a little irritated.

''But, Alaya I don't understand we have always been so close. It isn't your dads fault. Our parents have always desired for us to be together. I just assumed that as we grew older, we'd be able to fulfil that wish since I've always wanted to be with you. I can make you happy. I assumed you felt the same way," I said, my heart devastated by her admission.

''Zayn I am truly sorry but I can't be with someone I do not love in a romantic way. I consider you to be a friend, nothing more. Our families, on the other hand, must stop obsessing about us being together. Marriage is a commitment that lasts a lifetime. I'm still studying and would prefer to concentrate on that rather than marriage."

''If it's time you need, I can give you that. We could go out from time to time to re-acquaint ourselves. I know a lot of people whose friendships have blossomed into romantic relationships. Why don't you give us a chance?'' I pleaded with her as I didn't know what else to say since my heart felt like it had been ripped from my chest.

"I'm sorry Zayn, but I don't think my mind will change," she reached for my hand again, squeezing it tightly. "I'm going to go now," she said, her face furrowed in concern.

I sat in my car, heartbroken, as I watched the one and only girl I'd ever loved walk away. I didn't realize I was crying until I noticed a puddle of tears trickling down the side of my cheeks. My heart had been shattered into a thousand pieces. I can't believe the  only girl I've ever loved turned me down. We could have been so great together. Both of our families were ecstatic about me proposing, and I'll now have to deliver the bad news to them. I can't believe she won't even give it a chance. I don't think I'll be able to handle this pain. I wiped my eyes and climbed out of my car to stroll towards the café to give it one last shot. I convinced myself that all she needed was some time.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing as I came closer. Alaya in the arms of Alex, the guy from yesterday. I thought she said she wanted to concentrate on her studies. That didn't appear to be the case. She lied to me! My pain instantly turned into fury. She's going to wish she never rejected me when I am finished with her!!

Hey lovelies,

I hope you have enjoyed the entry of Zayn in this chapter. Poor Alaya is not going to know what's hit her- S