Chapter 16

Delia held tightly onto her little brothers hands and watched Gracen walk away. She was not going to move, this was not an ultimatum the choice was easy. Between the anger of a brother who she somewhat trusted not to bring her and her wards serious harm and possibly thousands of people and a billion unknown things, it was obvious what the safest choice was.

Gracen realized the sound of footsteps he expected to hear behind him were not there. Spinning around he found his baby siblings standing hands linked not an inch from the place they had been when he walked away from them. Artie took the initiative to explain.
"We aren't going inside there. To many people to many possibilities of danger."
Gracen was slightly amused, and a little angry. But when he opened his mouth to convince them. He realized how ridiculous he was being, he was judging them like they were disobeying him to question his authority and therefore disrespecting him. But thinking about it from a different side them being through abuse made it harder for them to say no and explain there thoughts coming clean and exposing "weakness" was a form of trust. Plus pushing them into a situation that they felt no control could be a set back, especially since they only somewhat trusted him, the person leading them into the building. Regardless of feelings for blood and trust that was being earned Delia and the twins hadn't even known they existed a week ago. As a businessman he knew very well that trust and respect were both things only truly given with time and experience. 

So, Gracen hopped back in the car drove them home, pulled them onto the living room couch and did the shopping online. Gracen wasn't shocked when Delia tried to reject the clothes for herself with the claim that it was "a waste of money". From what Gracen had discovered about Delia these last few days she always tried to lessen her need of support. With the alliance of the twins he persuaded Delia to buy what she needed and a couple other things that she didn't really "need", but Gracen insisted was a necessity. By the time they were done Gracen felt as exhausted as if he had done shopping at the actual mall and walked around for hours.

The day continued to passed peacefully. Soon everyone headed to their rooms. Delia sat crisscross on her bed blankly, a half finished picture displayed on the page of the sketchbook on the bed. It was a pretty ordinary picture of  a field on the edge of some woods, but even only half finished it gave of a feeling of being oppressed as if their was something that kept nature suppressed within its limits and that everything about it that should have been wild and full of life was dull and carefully calculated. Delia didn't draw a lot, but it had always been a comfort to her when she did so. It didn't really release any of her pent up emotions but it did help her recognize and deal with some of them. Delia's mind was reeling, but of course, it always was. The sound of a doorknob turning caused her to dazedly turn towards the sound. Hunter stood there, he had tried knocking softly, but there was no response and with the light on, Hunter figured she was still awake.
"Hey, I know it's late, but you have been off all day today and I wanted to make sure you were ok?" the end came out like a question, because he knew she wasn't "ok" and maybe never would be.
Delia's long eyelashes slowly covered her large honey brown eyes. She then grabbed her dry
board and once she finished writing spun it around for Hunter to see.
You know what I hate the most? People asking questions they don't want the answers too, that and liars.
Delia smiled gently afterwards and Hunter couldn't find it himself to decode the emotions it contained.
You know Daniel hates me?
Hunter seemed startled, "No, he doesn't. He is just trying to deal with the loss of his perfect image of mom. He does love you, you should have seen him when we discovered the news that you guys had been found. He was so excited. You know he had promised dad he would find and protect you guys?"
He is not dealing with the loss very well and just because he has a lot to deal with doesn't mean we should have to deal with his even though we have our own. You said it yourself that he was excited to see us, but you also pointed out that he may have been excited simply because he was able to fulfill his promise to his dad. And the abuse we went through ruined two things for him not one. Yes, mom's image of a perfect mother was broken because she was a horrible one to us but us getting abused also ruined his promise to your father. And since I'm older and I received most of the abuse to him I am considered the biggest factors in the destruction of his dreams. I have been around assholes all my life, trust me when I say someone is one. I'm not saying he can't change I'm saying he keeps this up and it won't matter to the twins.

Gracen's expression was frozen with his mouth agape. He knew his sister was smart and observant, but this was beyond his expectations. The shy girl that trembled at sudden movements was know calmly profiling her older brother with confidence and little to no emotion. And the more Hunter thought about the more he thought she was correct.
"You said if he kept it up he wouldn't have a chance with Arthur and Drew. What about you?"
Anything is possible, but I would say that it would be easier for us to have literal rainbows as desert while having dinner with George Washington.
Was this Delia's true personality?A quick decisive sarcastic girl. Or was this just another one of the many masks she had to wear?