Chapter 34

The rest day was spent relatively calmly both the twins and Delia were redecorating or planning the redecoration of there rooms, Drew wanted a dark forest green, while Artie wanted a super light yellow. Delia began to paint the outline of her murals. As she worked she contemplated her next step, but nothing of that plan could be finalized until she got a response from "them".

*Minor violence and use of guns*
Flashback ~
At the tender age of six Delia had been banished outside by her mother, because she couldn't stop the twins from crying. It was winter in the Midwest. Cold winds battered against Delia as she waited for her mom to give up quieting Arthur and Drew and call her back inside to do it.

Suddenly the sound of gunshots came crashing down on her ears, thinking that it was thunder Delia looked around in shock, it was snowing. Delia had never witnessed a thunder storm while it was snowing. Delia turned her back away from the street to head closer to the house where she could be safe from lightning strikes. Unfortunately she didn't get the chance.

Roughly yanked backwards, she nearly lost her balance but was spun around so her back faced the front of the person who grabbed her. Something round and cold was placed to the side of her head.
"Take a step forward and the girl dies." The voice behind her seemed to be younger, the gender undetermined.
"Now, now Sam. No need to get violent." A chiding voice said. The owner of the voice came around the building, her stance and gait relaxed. A smartly dressed woman stood in front of Delia and her unknown assailant. Beside and behind her were two other people.
"Sam you really think that we really care whether you kill the girl? I thought you knew us better." The woman in front continued to talk.
"You won't, your mafia has a rule no killing innocents, so—." Before Unknown could finish laughter interrupted him.

"Your interpretation was slightly different from the actual instruction. The rule is don't kill innocents unless they endanger us by living. And right now you threaten my safety and she is your shield so her death is just collateral damage and so is everyone in that house. We wouldn't want witnesses would we." The two people beside the woman shook their heads, woodenly agreeing with their boss.

Delia's vision seemed to blurred for a second as she heard the first part of the woman's statements. She was going to die. But the second half snapped Delia out of it, her family was going to die. Mind racing Delia couldn't figure out what her next course of action should be.
"Put the gun down and you may not get hurt— very much."
Gun that was what the cold metal thing was. Tingles ran down Delia as she lost feeling in her fingertips. One of the people besides the woman's side stomped their feet.

Instantly Delia, stamped hard on the mans foot, while simultaneously bringing her hand up pushing the gun back wards and turning her head so the nuzzles missed her head. Striking backwards she hit the person between their legs, grabbing the gun that had now loosened Delia held the gun in front of her facing the threats. As she constantly shifted focus between all of them the functions following her gaze.
*End*

A knock sounded outside her door interrupting her memory recollection. It was Drew.
'Hey, I want to talk with you. Is that ok?' Drew signed as he looked anxiously at his sister. Delia gestured for him to continue. Sighing in relief Drew continued to sign, his signs beginning to come more and more rapidly as he became engrossed in talking.
'About what happened at breakfast. I didn't mean for it to seem like I was defending Daniel. It's just that— you know I always wished for someone to protect and provide for us. Taking care of us has been a chore for you and you do awesome, but I can tell your tired. I wanted them to be that and since Daniel is the oldest he seemed the most likely to fill that role. Not that I don't love spending time with them. I have been feeling more whole around with them, like something I was missing suddenly got solved. Daniel is strong, confident and authoritative, he makes me feel safe. But you have to know that I love and trust you the most next to Artie. If he hurts you I'll stand on your side.' Catching his breath Drew stopped for a moment.
"Don't think I haven't noticed you drifting Delia. It scares me. I may want Daniel and the rest to be my older brothers, but I need you." Drew's voice began to break near the end. Delia's eyes began to be pricked by tears, she knew that her brothers depended on her, but sometimes she felt that she was replaceable especially after they meet Daniel, Gracen and Hunter. They could provide the same and more for her twins. It could be called jealousy, but it was more the feeling of worry and emptiness. Standing up she pulled Drew into a hug.

Delia felt her shoulder get wet, but she didn't moved and just remained standing with her arms around him her body shielding him. A feeling of lose shot through Delia, would she be able to let go of these moments when the time came? She had been trying to distance herself from everyone in preparation for when she left. Unfortunately she forgot about an aspect of family no matter how hard you try they will always pull you back to them.