Chapter 36

Jake wasn't very important to Gina, there was a certain attachment to him, because he unlike her first husband didn't favor Delia. Their relationship was mutually beneficial, but it wasn't much of relationship. So when they were caught, Gina immediately told the "truth" that all of it was all Jake's idea. The police were slightly skeptical, but with the help of a lawyer Gina would be able to push her point and the naive jurors would cave. After all woman are biologically weaker than their male counterparts.

Gina's plan would work to a certain extent, but the child abuse would be harder to shift onto Jake's shoulders. It's worth mentioning that Jake wasn't an idiot to save his hide he would try to share the blame with her.

Today was a special day Gina's son was visiting her, probably Daniel. She had determined Wyatt angle would be most successful in making him side with her. The pitiful victim route had been contemplated, but it was too obvious and a powerful businessman like Daniel would see through her in a heartbeat. The long suffering mother was a better role to play. The time she had with Daniel was limited, so she had to play the role carefully.

"Mom." The greeting was succinct.
"Daniel, my son how good to see you." Gina gave a gentle pained smile, the cracked lip in and bruised eye making her image appear like she had suffered through much. The man in front of her didn't seem to affected there was a mask on the bottom of his face which he hadn't removed since he entered the room. Not wanting to anger her one partner Gina didn't mention anything even though she was slightly curious and worried.
"How have you been doing in her, I asked the police to try and keep you safe. It appears they weren't successful."  The smile on Gina's face seemed to freeze for a moment before she got her bearings.
"Things have been fine, how are you and your brothers?" The concerned tone in her voice leaking through "accidentally".
"The past nine years have been difficult, but we managed to make it and things have been much smoother the past couple of years. Wish I could say the same for you." Sarcasm could be heard in the comment, but Gina decided to ignore it.
"Yes, things have been rather difficult especially once I began to associate with Jake. He's a good man you know just slightly misguided." Gina said abashedly.
"If you count beating children into submission, selling drugs and according to you coercing their mentally unstable mother into doing abusive things to her children, 'slightly misguided' that description fits him perfectly."
"Daniel I know you have some resentment towards me for leaving you so early on, but I never wanted to hurt you guys. Everything was too much. Your father didn't love me. We only married because our parents found out he had knocked me up." Hearing nor response Gina continued, "I've thought about all of you each and everyday. And I never meant to do those things to the kids, I had no choice I was forced." There were tears silently running down Gina's face. She than began to explain story by story what had happened and how none of it had been her choice. Seeing the angered expression of the man in front of her and determining it was anger at Jake and not her. She began to explain what she wanted done for her plan to work. The man nodded his head and then explained that for her to remain as innocent as possible it was best if she pretended this meeting had never happened. Gina wasn't convinced there seemed to be no logical reason to do so for the sake of her innocence: many would consider her innocence more insured and her character better if the child she raised was willing to protect her and help her out. Especially since that offspring had meet and lived with his siblings her were supposedly abused by her, it would cast doubt on the abuse itself taking place. When Gina made her worries clear, it was rejected out right. The explanation was that he had not meet her in nine years any character he had witnessed would be susceptible to change and thus he was an even less credible source if he didn't take that into account. The argument lasted for a majority of the time they had together before Gina would be returned to her cell. But before Gina left she requested that his mask be removed so she "could see her oldest son, who is all grown up now." Her request was refused on the basis that he didn't want his face shown on the cameras that were rolling. Before Gina could come up with another argument she was escorted back to her cell.

Gina sat contentedly in her cell her plan was coming together nicer than she thought and the fact that the conversation was not recorded nor was her son required to remove his mask meant that he was more influential and wealthier than she anticipated.

Outside of the police station inside the back of a chauffeured car a man took off his mask.
"Did you get the information boss asked for?" The driver asked. The man didn't talk but simply nodded.
"Why did you volunteer to do this job? It's not difficult any of the lower members could have done it easily. Honestly this is way below your pay grade. Don't tell me you fell out with the boss. I always told everyone not to be to jealous of you because the better the boss treats you now the worse she'll treat you later." The driver spilled in a self righteous tone. The only response he got was an ice cold glare that had him spinning around and quickly pulling out of the parking lot.

The man frowned to himself. The driver was right this was way below his pay grade. So why had his boss ordered him to do this?