Chapter 64

Delia was there at the dining room table. But she wasn't present. Delia calmly sliced her food and slowly chewed her food. But she tasted nothing. Delia knew that she was spiraling out of control. But the more she tried to calm down the more she lost touch with reality. 

In a bid to get back in touch with reality Delia began tap her finger on the dining room table, trying to feel the tingle it shot up her arm to her the faint click, to see herself make physical contact with something real. The repetitiveness of the contact helped Delia gain more control over her body, but there was a certain dissociation with the world around her. As if she was in dream or video game. 

Delia felt a small pulse of relief, if this continued she wouldn't react to Gina's comments. Throughout the rest of breakfast Delia remained mostly unresponsive nodding or shaking her head, but not signing, typing or writing anything. Gina tried to "engage in conversation" with her daughter, but it was unsuccessful. 

This angered Gina, her plan had been to prick holes in Delia's fragile self-image and cause her to act defensively in an uncontrolled manner. Then she as the apologetic mother, would rationally explain it away and take whatever her resentful teenager threw at her. Painting herself this way was the fastest and easiest to cut the trust between Delia and her three oldest as well as bring them to her side. 

Now that her plan was proving ineffective she knew she had to proceed to her final trick or she would be taking a vacation in jail. Tomorrow was the day of the trial or at least the child and abuse part of the charges. So, the trick would have to happen tonight. And it was a doozy. Since plan A was proving ineffective Gina decided to halt it, it was a waste of energy. So instead she decided to go with Daniel and Gracen to the office and check out he-- their company. 

Since everything was in place Delia decided to spend the last day she had hanging out with her little brothers and Andre. But before she could she got a text for Daniel. 

I'm sorry. 

Delia didn't deem it with a response Daniel barley ever had a chance at redemption, with the her that first meet her. He had known now though. Seeing that she wasn't responding he sent the next text. 

I know it's wrong, what I'm doing. But I need Gina. And so do Hunter and Gracen.

He wanted to validate his actions, he wanted to feel ok about his decisions. He wanted to share the blame with as many people as possible. He wanted her permission to ruin her one shot at justice, even though her decision wouldn't effect his own. He wanted to be able to say "at least I tried". 

Switching her phone all the way off Delia didn't give the texts a second thought, as she went to spend time with her brothers. After all the texts had nothing to do with her.