Chapter 43

So can we have that talk after dinner? Delia responded deciding to use her phone. Hunter had walked into the dining room blocking Daniel and whatever he was playing. There was still a light confrontation between Delia and Daniel though. Daniel explained that she was ignoring him. Delia explained that she didn't have her board or paper and wasn't sure how to respond.
"I thought you said you couldn't respond because you didn't have your dry erase board or notebook? Then why did you just use your phone?" Daniel asked a smug undertone coloring his words.
I'm not used to having this and forgot to it. Also your shouting made me anxious and somewhat unable to respond normally.  Delia explained.
"You didn't look nervous or anxious to me." Daniel challenged.
"Oh, are you a psychologist? Because the lady you had talk to us said that sometimes anxiety I hidden deeply and it's hard for the person having them to discover it let alone other people." Artie asked innocently.
"I don't appreciate the sass and disrespect in your words Arthur." Gracen said from the sidelines.
"It was a serious question." Artie said confused. A glare followed from Gracen.
"I'm sorry." Artie mumbled. The apology was accepted and the dinner continued. The tension from breakfast hadn't disappeared and had added itself to this meal.
So can I have that talk you agreed to at breakfast? Delia repeated still not having received affirmation or rejection.
"Sure." Daniel responded tersely. Smiling Delia continued to eat. Daniel finished first, excused himself from the table and headed towards his office. Finishing a couple minutes later Delia also headed towards Daniel's office. Delia knocked on the door and waited for a response.
A "come in." shortly followed.  Daniel sat in his chair behind the desk Delia sat in front of him.

"What do you want?"  Daniel questioned a fountain pen twirling around his fingers.
I wanted to talk. 
"Ok, go ahead." 
You hate me. There was no expression on Delia's face as the automated voice made the statement. Daniel was slightly surprised by her train of thought.
"I don't hate you." He responded almost on reflex.
You don't because as far as I can tell ever since I've come here you have fought against me being here and ruining the life you have built. Delia typed her eyebrow lifting in challenge
"It was hard to get used to new people in our home. Everybody needs a period of adjustment." Daniel defended.
I apologize. Allow me to rephrase. You hate that me being here as revealed what a terrible person your mother is. That every memory you have of her was just a persona she created and when she left the monster underneath that was revealed. Delia's gaze was fierce as she stared at her eldest brother.
"Oh, shut up. Stop tooting that horn. We get it my mom hurt you guys. Aren't you fine now? My mother wasn't fake, you must have done something nobody can change for no reason. And speaking of fake let's talk about you." Daniel stated before continuing,
"You claim to always protect your brothers over yourself. If that was so why didn't you call the police or child protective services, why not tell your neighbors. Heck you could have told Andre and Andrew aren't you guys all buddy buddy? And you didn't protect them. They got hurt. You went mute when they needed your voice the most and you gave up on talking. They had to do all the talking and social interactions for you.  You failed, you as a older sister are a failure. You claim to tell the truth all the time, but all you do is hide it. You hide the truth of the abuse from your brothers and friends. You hide your injuries from us. You don't live in the truth you live in riddles and now you can't tell which direction is up, down, right or wrong. So let me help you you failed as a daughter, friend and sister. You are the reason my mom is the way she is. So I don't care if she gave you burns and scars or you have 'trauma' when the court day comes you are going to get on that stand and tell everyone the truth. You deserved everything. My mother is the victim and you the perpetrator. I don't care what happens to you, but my mom is coming home and you and the twins will leave and everything will be normal again." 
Daniel's voice rose as he got worked up but by the end of it is voice was deadly soft, exuding a command.
Tears dripped unknowingly down Delia's face as she brought her knees to her chest letting her face fall on them as her arms dropped to the side. Delia remained stills for a moment. Before she looked up. Watery brown eyes meet Daniel's eyes, they looked sad a heartbreaking bitterness and regret, but soon they shifted and were replaced with determination and challenge. Delia unsteadily rose to her feet and walked out. Not sparing Daniel a second glance. Daniel let her go. After all there was nothing left to discuss, what he said was going to pass as long as Daniel planned well.

Pulling his phone out Daniel a call, his lawyer for Gina had called saying he had gotten in touch with the client and had the plan. Because he had been having dinner the call had gone to voicemail, so it was time to call him back now. Placing the phone on speaker Daniel logged onto his computer so he could look at the document with the details as well as listen to the lawyer's explanation. The plan was simple and should be effective. Daniel feel anything as he set up Delia to take the fall. He had made his decision and once he made it no emotions were going to change that so he stopped feeling them. This was going to happen—maybe.