CHAPTER 1

The Duchy of Mohnton is characterized by its expansive swamps.

Covered in a blanket of miasma, this land that is constantly humid all year round was also a major source of manastones.

The miasma that oozes from the depths of the bogs gives rise to strong magical energies. Over the course of years, this magical power crystallized into a type of gem commonly known as a manastone. Therefore, wherever the miasma is thickest, one can find more and more gathering operations.

Manastones are used to brighten rooms, as well as keep them cool in the summer and warm during the winter, they can even power the engines of ships. Lately, they have been used as a power source to keep gears turning as well. They have become a necessity in people's daily lives.

The manastones of the Duchy of Mohnton were top quality, with high magical energy. Even if the place was called a swamp and never saw tourists, due to the demand for manastones it was quite enriched.

This has resulted in quite an indulgent food culture.

"Lord Alois! You cannot be eating things like this!"

As Camilla yelled in front of him, Alois swallowed down that fatty morsel. Fried lumps of flour and oil, with powdered sugar thickly coating its surface, it was an intensely unhealthy snack ー a doughnut.

"A-Ah, that's not it, Camilla. Since I'm working so late tonight, if I don't properly nourish myself――"

"How much more nourishment does your body need!?"

That excess nourishment jiggled in his gut a bit as Alois shrunk into his chair. As he leaned back like that, it was as if his neck disappeared, his chin instead forming a collar of fat. As she saw the sweat ooze out from the folds of meat that could only be called excess chins, Camilla was filled with a sense of exasperation in her heart.

"Lord Alois, do you have any idea just how much you eat in one day? You eat in the middle of the night, then you wake up and eat breakfast, then brunch, then lunch, then afternoon tea, then dinner and then even dessert! Seven meals! That's more than twice that of a normal person, is it not!?"

What's more, everything he eats is either disgustingly sweet or incredibly fatty. The treats he prefers are so saccharine, it's like eating cubes of sugar.

Camilla had also been born into a wealthy family, so she knew what it meant to have a rich diet, but this was just extraordinary. Actually, rather than a rich diet, this was just food violence.

All this greasy and fatty food were like heavy blows to Camilla's stomach. Thanks to that, Camilla wasn't eating much.

But still, Alois exceeds Camilla's imagination.

"Camilla, that's not true. Before sleeping, I take another simple dinner, so it's actually eight meals."

"You fat slob!!!!"

As Alois said something so outrageous as if it were nothing at all, Camilla yelled far louder than she had intended. Startled, she pressed her hands over her mouth. Even though she hadn't held back her sharp tongue before when it came to calling Alois fat or a toad, she realized that just now she had gone too far.

Despite everything, the person in front of her was still a duke from the royal bloodline. Camilla was both lower in stature as a count's daughter and also younger by five years, she wasn't in a position to speak to him like that.

But, Alois didn't seem too troubled by Camilla's piercing words, laughing as he took another bite. 'Now now', he shook his thick hands sticky with sugar, trying to soothe her. Camilla felt dizzy.