CHAPTER 45

3 – 14

The sun sat at its apex.

The dense miasma had cleared away and the sky was awash with a brilliant shade of blue.

A cool yet pleasant wind blew, wispy clouds trailed overhead, and the land was basked in light.

After Camilla crawled out of the underground and into the town square, she felt her legs give out from under her as she sat down, exhausted.

Spread out in front of her were the broken town and ruined streets of Einst. Over half of the houses she saw had collapsed in on themselves and those once orderly paved streets were peppered with cracks. In some places, it had been rent apart entirely. Although it wasn't billowing out with any real vigour, miasma still wafted from those wounds in the earth.

A lot of people were in the square and on those streets, sifting through the rubble in a desperate search for trapped survivors. Busy shouts and parties of people rushing to and fro filled the square with noise. The people that had escaped from the underground along with her were still here as well. When they saw Camilla emerge as the last person to escape that underground hell, they yelled and cheered.

"Camilla, are you okay?"

Alois rushed over to Camilla as she sat down, trying to catch her breath. He had already handed the injured Frida over to a doctor on-site. Camilla could see Frida laid up a little ways away, surrounded by people.

"I... I'm okay."

As she said that, she tried to push herself onto her feet with her hands, but she couldn't find any power in her muscles anymore. Camilla could only laugh hoarsely as Alois looked on anxiously.

"It... It's a pathetic thing to admit, but I think my waist gave out in relief."

"There's nothing pathetic about you at all."

Alois held out his hand to Camilla who couldn't stand under her own power, a warm smile on his face.

"You really showed off just how amazing and brave you are today."

As he praised her so directly like that, Camilla didn't know what to say. She felt awkward, not to mention embarrassed. Yet still, she felt a little bit happy with the compliment. But much to her chagrin, she could sense those feelings mixing with her overwhelming sense of relief and something began to well up behind her eyes.

Camilla quickly looked down, blinking away that twinkle in her eye furiously.

"What's wrong, Camilla?" Alois asked cluelessly, only making her all the more frustrated for some reason.

"Nothing whatsoever. I just felt a bout of fatigue, that is all."

Camilla said that, reaching out to grasp Alois' hand that he still held out to her.

Raising her head, she looked at Alois' own pockmarked and froggy face. Because of the strong miasma, his skin condition had gotten worse, with his puffy skin forcing his eyelids to narrow, half-hiding his red eyes.

– So frustrating.

It was frustrating, but she was left with little choice but to accept it now.

When the earthquakes had started, she had followed his words when she tried to have people on the main street evacuate to the forest.

When they were caught underground, she decided to have Nicole chase after Alois' magical power without any hesitation.

And when she saw Alois at her lowest moment, she had almost been overcome with relief.