CHAPTER 68

4 (2) – 9

Camilla followed Klaus along a short path into the back of the Lörrich mansion's rear garden. They kept walking until they reached a small building.

The walls of the building were white and featureless. It barely seemed suitable as a storeroom and was hardly fit for anyone to live in. There were several windows, but they were all located on the sloped roof so she couldn't peer inside. There wasn't a chimney either, so there couldn't be a fireplace inside.

As she was led inside the hut, it was surprisingly warm, as if it were designed to keep out the cold.

The source of that warmth was the vast amount of manastone lamps that lit up the interior, making it as bright as if the sun was still hanging in the sky. In all four corners of the room as well, there were magical heating tools. Just how many manastones were being consumed to keep this room warm throughout the winter?

Thanks to the extravagant use of manastones, stepping inside the hut felt like leaping forward in time into spring. Camilla could scarce believe how comfortable it was inside, no fireplace could replicate this.

But what surprised her the most was the scene she beheld in the cabin.

It was as if she were looking at a field of snow, from which a beautifully sweet aroma wafted in the air. Besides the old looking shelf sitting next to the door, the hut had no other features.

Her vision was dominated by the wholly white flowers that sprung up all around her.

"Just what is...?"

A greenhouse. She remembered hearing about these once before. It was a small building that was warmed and lit with magic tools to keep the same climate year-round. Because it naturally cost a small fortune in manastones to maintain, it was rare to see one outside of the confines of a rich florist's business or in the garden of some aristocratic hobbyist.

"You really are carefree, huh? Even though I'm a man, you followed me to this corner of the garden with no one around. If I were a bad guy, wouldn't you be in trouble?"

As Camilla blinked in surprise, looking at all the flowers, Klaus' joking voice came from behind her. It was a threatening joke in poor taste, but Camilla didn't turn around.

"I didn't make a mistake when accompanying you. Since you are all bark and no bite, after all."

"Harsh as ever, huh?"

With a smile, Klaus overtook Camilla and made his way further into the greenhouse. Reaching the centre, he stopped in his tracks.

"This place here, y'see, is my secret little hideaway."

"...Haa?"

Klaus' voice sounded slightly higher pitched than usual as he said that, his back to Camilla.

"When I was still a kid, Father said he would buy me whatever I liked, so I asked for a flower garden that would stay in bloom all year round. Ain't it great?"

"Quite."

It was certainly true that the field of blooming flowers was a sight to behold. If she looked down at her feet, it was easy to forget that she was actually indoors.

Looking closely at the beautifully white and delicate looking petals on those flowers, she could see a slight red tinge at the base. The petal's colour transitioned from red to a light pink and finally to pure white as it stretched out towards those rounded tips.

– I've seen these flowers somewhere before.

Camilla frowned as she bent over, looking closely at the flowers stretching out in front of her. It was a flower that she had never seen in the royal capital...