CHAPTER 133

The Path of the Dead (3) – Final

Placing both her hands on the wall, she rested her ear against it and closed her eyes.

"...Ahh."

The voice was calm and subdued. People often called that voice of his 'cold', but Liselotte had always liked the sound of it.

– Lord Alois...

Liselotte imagined just what he was doing on the other side of this wall. Surely, he had his back turned to her. He'd be folding his arms, leaning back up against the wall and listening to the sound of his own voice with a serious face.

Without the magic to disguise it as silver, his hair must have reverted to that pale white colour that was his own. His eyes must be a murky and brownish sort of red, to distinguish his family's centuries of separation from the royal house. His skin would be pale, his body much too lean. He could never have known just how much she envied him, when he said that he never gained weight no matter how much he ate.

Just when was it? One day when she called him a white flower, he got so upset. Really, just when was that? Perhaps it was when they were back in Mohnton. Since then, there was a hard ban on ever comparing him to a flower again.

But, to Liselotte, he would always be a flower. Without being able to choose where it sprouted or move to another pasture, an unfortunate and fleeting flower. She only wanted to protect it from the lashing rain and swirling winds, but in the end there was nothing Liselotte could do.

"Next time..."

There wouldn't be a next time.

She knew that, but that cheery voice still came from her mouth. Liselotte was his shadow. So, until the very end, she had to do what she could to support him.

– What's more...

"...If we can meet again in another life..."

She wasn't lying. It wasn't some sort of trick. In her heart, Liselotte's words were true.

"We'll definitely go through with the wedding properly! You better not forget, okay!?"

"Yeah, yeah. That's fine, we'll do it."

"It's a promise, alright!"

As she pressed her ear against the wall even more, Liselotte poured her heart into her voice. She felt like she could hear a soft sigh on the other side of the wall.

"You absolutely have to-!"

Liselotte swallowed the words that were on the tip of her tongue.

She turned away from the wall, looking at the closed door to her cell... Someone was there.

"...Who is there?"

Silence. Instead, the door opened without a sound.

Liselotte's eyes widened in shock when she saw who walked into the cell. She almost shouted in surprise but covered her hand with her mouth quickly.

Standing right in front of her was someone she knew well.

A lean woman who was getting on in age. That slender build of hers was like a withered branch, but paradoxically there wasn't a single sign of weakness anywhere on her. She stood straight, her eyebrows pulled taught, as she looked Liselotte over rigorously.

She was a vassal of the Montchat family, as well as Liselotte and Julian's childhood teacher...

"...Lady Gerda?"

Liselotte spoke out to her, a note of fear in her voice. Gerda didn't answer her even with a nod, her expression not changing even a whit. She merely stood silently on the opposite side of the cell, staring at Liselotte.