CHAPTER 93

4.5 – 2

– I saw something truly harrowing.

Tomorrow was the final day of her stay in Blume before returning to the Duchy's capital. She had already said her goodbyes to Victor and her others and packed her things, so all that remained was to wait for the sun to rise tomorrow. She felt restless in her room for some reason, so she decided to seek out that balcony once again to feel the cool night's wind in her hair.

As she passed through the mansion's corridors, Camilla stumbled upon something unbelievable.

At the end of the hallway, she could see the current head of the family, Rudolph's room, which was on the same floor as her own. As she stood nearby, she could see Rudolph and Gerda together, talking about something or other.

When Camilla, Alois, Nicole and the rest of the retinue returned to the Montchat estate tomorrow, Gerda would be coming back with them. At first glance, it seemed like a brother and sister simply bidding each other farewell.

That alone wasn't any cause for alarm. When it came to Gerda and Rudolph talking with one another, Camilla had seen that countless times during her stay.

But, seeing the smile on Gerda's face when she talked to Rudolph, the warmth in her eyes... it stopped Camilla in her tracks.

Gerda and Rudolph kept talking for some time.

Perhaps because she was a little further down the hall, the two of them never noticed Camilla. Camilla, meanwhile, couldn't hear her conversation well.

But, something about those two sitting with one another stood out to her.

That willful woman, who seemed more iron than flesh, suddenly seemed so human. Whenever Rudolph said anything, Gerda's smile seemed so full of kindness as she answered back. She looked less like his older sister, and more of something closer to a mother.

– So, she's kind to her family?

It may have seemed like a normal thing to anyone else, but when it came to Gerda, Camilla thought that hell would have frozen over before she saw that woman look at anyone like that, much less her family.

Whilst they were in Blume, Camilla had not even once seen her look at members of her family like that. Neither Klaus nor Franz had been given any sort of warmth, and she treated the servants here just the same as she did the ones back in the capital. When others could see them, she only exchanged the barest of words with Rudolph, that was the feeling she got, whilst there was no mistaking her abject hostility towards Lucas.

But now it seems that Gerda truly did hold her younger brother dear to her, as she held his hand so warmly, and sometimes even laughed softly at his words. She always seemed so cold, but perhaps that was just a mask that she wore?

Maybe this is who she truly was? No matter how cold she might seem, no person lived without any sort of emotion. She knew that. She knew that all too well, but...

"...It's surprising, isn't it?"

She definitely was surprised. Surprised by the sudden voice in her ear that almost caused Camilla to cry out in shock as goosebumps ran up her arm.

As she barely managed to hold back a scream, Camilla whirled around to see who had said that. Of course, she already had an idea before she even saw him.

"Klaus!? Do not surprise me like that!"

Even though her whispering voice was obviously angry, Klaus merely shrugged.

He still had a black eye and several bruises on his face from where Franz had pummeled him. But all the same, he didn't seem to be too concerned about himself, as he smiled at Camilla as frivolously as ever.