CHAPTER 7

1-7

If she couldn't force him to change his eating habits, fix up his meals or convince him to exercise, then only her fourth and final method remained, 'socializing'.

A noble's duties included being present at social engagements and balls with other members of high society.

The midday tea party isn't loud, but it has a certain quiet elegance that catches the eye. The musical shows and theater troupes that play at night engage both emotionally and intellectually. And when it came time to dance at a ball, only the boldest outfits were chosen.

The gatherings of nobles were always rigidly assessed affairs. A slight mistake could make you the object of laughter and appearing out of place would see you scorned and ridiculed. Alois would probably find himself shown the door no matter what he wore, but it wouldn't hurt to freshen up his appearance just a little bit.

It may sound cruel to say this, but if she appeared in public alongside Alois as he was right now, Camilla would certainly be exposed to mockery. Truth be told, she hadn't wanted to resort to this just yet.

But, since every other means had failed, this was her last resort. In order to make them all pay one day, she could endure this temporary shame.

In order to slim Alois down, she would have to resort to a more direct method.

As Camilla made her intentions clear, Alois looked troubled as he tilted his neck. Well, frankly speaking, it was hard to tell where his neck ended and his chin began, but that's beside the point.

"The Montchat family aren't really the type to go out in public much."

'Let's go to a salon, that much should be fine!' Camilla had enthusiastically said those words as she burst into Alois' room just before.

"The Montchat family isn't quite like everyone else, didn't you know that, Camilla? I thought it was quite well known."

Alois sighed as he shook his head. Even though they were supposed to be married, she didn't even know that? He didn't say those words, but Camilla averted her eyes as if he had.

It was true, Camilla truly didn't know much about Alois or his family. He had never shown his face in the capital, after all. Of course, she had heard the bad rumours, but since he had never been on her mind as a candidate for betrothal back then, she had never thought to ask about him at social occasions.

"My family serves as the king's shadow. As members of the branch family, we did the work that the king can't put his seal to, for one reason or another."

It's an old story, one he's grown used to over the years, so Alois simply shrugged. As the meat on his shoulders jiggled, Camilla looked at him bitterly.

"We took on the more under-the-table work of the royal family, not things I would want to talk about. It would be strange for a family like mine to go to social occasions like normal, don't you think? Of course, things are more peaceful now, so there isn't quite as much need for shadowy work. But, I suppose it's more like a tradition nowadays."

Alois' father, the previous Lord Montchat, also had a reputation for not appearing much in public. Did Alois have a similar reason for not wanting to appear in the capital?

But, if it's a tradition... There's not much she could do about it.

Then, Camilla shook her head furiously. She was this close to being coaxed again. If she was simply satisfied with that, then that meant all her plans had failed completely. Camilla's ambition to create a proper man out of Alois would have amounted to nothing.