CHAPTER 29

2.5 – 2

"My goodness! This is actually delicious!?"

"You really are a rude girl."

The chef grumbled as Camilla let out a surprised shout the moment she tasted the soup that he had made.

"Suddenly deciding you want to eat Alois' food out of the blue like that, if I told anyone, you'd be out on your rear."

Naturally.

Camilla is still someone that the majority of servants either don't see or purposefully avoid seeing. Even when she tried to talk with them, they'd make excuses and escape. In order to talk with one of the servants just for a bit, she didn't correct his misunderstanding and pretended to be a maid. Actually acting like one was something else entirely though.

In fact, the chef was actually being unusually tolerant to Camilla who, in the guise of a maid, suddenly told him that she would like to try some of the food he was making for Alois.

But, right now, Camilla didn't care about something like that.

Inside the pot in front of her was a clear soup. There was only a slight film of fat that covered its surface. Judging by the taste, only salt and pepper had been used for seasoning.

Yet, somehow, it had a delicate sweetness to it. Not to mention a peculiar fragrance. Even though it wasn't a complicated taste, there was a deepness to it that couldn't possibly be the result of salt alone.

"...This has been left to stew for some time. You used chicken stock, yes? But just what is this taste? Even though there's this strange smell, I cannot identify it at all... Ahh, jeez, just what is this!?"

"Of course you won't get it."

"Hmph," the man snorted derisively, but he couldn't hide the smile on his face. Apparently, he was satisfied with Camilla's response.

"How could a young lady like you possibly hope to understand my dish? If you could, I would be out of a job."

"Gugugugu..."

Camilla sounded frustrated. She was doubly annoyed at just how insolent the man in front of her was being. It's true that she couldn't understand what she didn't know, but the one thing she could say for sure was that this dish was delicious.

She had been prepared for something inedible because the food was something prepared for Alois, but for some reason, she felt a strange sense of defeat when she tasted it.

"Just what happened from this point on to ruin the taste so much...!?"

The soup was still being prepared. The finishing touches hadn't yet been applied. Is that when the overwhelming amount of salt is added? But really, who would have expected such a profound taste from such a rough looking cook? After having made it perfectly up until now, just what did this man do to completely spoil it before serving?

As Camilla groaned while rubbing her temples, the man looked confused.

"You new around here by any chance?"

As the man said that, he gave Camilla another assessment. She frowned as the man once again impudently looked her up and down, but he didn't seem to notice.

"I'm not the one who adds the final seasoning and garnishes. I make the best food I can. I'm indebted to Lord Alois so I could never make him something less than the best."

"...What do you mean?"

When Camilla asked him that, the man's face took on a bitter expression. He grimaced as he tried to hide it, but it was futile.