CHAPTER 14

1-14

Compared to that cramped bedroom, the kitchen was large and well looked after.

There was a big oven to bake bread in, as well as two small furnaces over which a pot could be boiled. There was a large clay urn that stored water, along with a simple scullery area. In the center of the kitchen was a single main bench for preparing food. Along the wall, there was a shelf that held all manner of cooking and dining utensils, as well as a large chest where ingredients were kept.

The lid on top of it was huge yet oddly cold to the touch. As she opened the lid, she saw a handful of tiny glimmering bottles, as well as milk and eggs.

Those small bottles were magical tools that use manastones to maintain a cold temperature. It has become widely available across the kingdom, so much so that even common people can get their hands on them. That said, since manastones are used as fuel, they are limited by money to only using them for daily necessities. For the most part, these bottles are used to keep food cool inside of a chest or a cabinet, where it was difficult for the cold air to escape.

After checking all the ingredients inside the chest, Camilla looked at the shelf.

She saw the black bread placed in the middle of the shelf straight away, it looked firm and dry. Then there was a tied up hemp bag packed haphazardly with flour. There was some salt and a small quantity of unrefined sugar. Just below that, there were some jams made from various fruits. There was a slightly bruised tomato next to a good amount of onions, carrots and garlic. There were spicy mustard seeds packed into a small glass bottle as well.

On the lowest shelf, there was a big sack of potatoes as well as a perfectly round cabbage. On the highest, there was a basketful of fruit, beans and herbs.

It was only when she moved some things aside that Camilla finally found any meat. A dried sausage, that had been left out for the year. Still, it's better than nothing.

It must have been saved over the colder seasons. As Camilla took out the potatoes from the bag, she handed them all off to Alois without asking his opinion.

After receiving them, Alois placed them all on the cooking bench.

"What are you thinking of making?"

"There are onions, potatoes and carrots. If I boil all those together, I can make a soup. The bread is hard, so the only thing to do with it is using it for soaking up soup and eating it that way. I can also fry the beans and cabbage together with a helping of salt, not to mention the eggs."

If she mixes the ingredients that way, she could easily make several meals large enough for adults. After handing Alois the onion, garlic and carrots, Camilla retrieved two knives from the cupboard. She gave Alois one of them.

"You can at least do the peeling, right?"

"Of course."

Alois said that after taking the knife she offered.

"Let's finish this quickly and go back to the estate. There's more that I need to talk with you about."

"Are you planning on lecturing me some more? Or rather, are you going to say something along the lines of 'let's not get married'?"

That might be a dream come true.

"Hmph," Camilla took to the potatoes with her knife.

"No matter how much you told me that you were serious about losing weight, you never had any real interest in doing it. Lord Alois, you never had any intention of marrying me, so that's why you could lie so easily."