CHAPTER 115

6 – 5

Camilla's parents were, by all accounts, good people.

They were well educated and came from a good lineage. They were crafty, but not malicious, and truly believed in human kindness. Even if they admitted that there was evil in the world, they never believed that it would truly point its wicked barbs at them. So long as they saw no evil, heard no evil or spoke no evil, then evil would not visit itself upon them.

The running of Count Storm's fief, in the southestern corner of the Kingdom, was left to his retainers. Taking up residence in the capital, the shipping businesses that he had started as a hobby had eventually turned into a thriving asset for the family. He was well liked by the people around him because of his wealth of kindness and, alongside his healthy and astute wife, he had deep relationships with others in high society. Because of the scandal that emerged surrounding their only daughter, the other noble families were sympathetic to the Count and his wife. Helped by those kind nobles, they managed to survive the year without falling into hardship.

They never even felt the anguish of losing their daughter. Thanks to the adorable girl that came to take Camilla's place.

Good things come to good people. Damnation shall always befall those who beget it.

Swindlers were low, but to be a common fool sucked in by their tricks was to be even lower. Because of that, they were adamant that they would never be deceived – those were the kind of people they were.

"Camilla, you idiot! Why the hell did you come back!?"

Camilla's old bedroom had been given to Therese now, so she had been told to stay in one of the guest rooms.

As soon as she entered that room, Camilla was buffeted by that angry shout.

You could be forgiven for not believing that this was a scarcely used guest room. The bed sheets were brand new, there were fresh flowers on the windowsill and there wasn't a speck of dust to be seen. Camilla felt a wave of nostalgia as she saw the racks of clothes and her favourite chair, looking just like they had the day she had left the capital.

"Did you seriously have no idea what was going to happen!? You shouldn't have ever returned!!"

But, despite the shouts, that voice made Camilla feel relieved.

Standing opposite her in the room, her face scrunched up in an angry frown, was Camilla's bad mannered maid. She had taught Camilla how to cook and sneak out to go to the orphanage together with her, and when she was to be exiled from the capital, she had begged to be allowed to go with her. She was the closest thing Camilla ever had to a sister, perhaps.

"Diana."

As soon as she called out her name, Diana sprinted towards her. Without giving Camilla a moment to react, she drew her into a strong hug.

"You know, you really are stupid! You should have just laid low back in the swamps! You should have known this was all a trap!"

"I knew."

Wrapping her arms around Diana's back, Camilla spoke softly. That tender and warm hug Diana gave her made her want to cry. But, because of the curse ingrained into her by her parents, she bit her lip and held back the tears.

Shutting her eyes tight, Camilla breathed out. She couldn't cry. No matter what happens from now on, she wouldn't have any regrets. She had already come to terms with that.

"I knew, but I still came back."

"...I guess you still can't help but be a fool sometimes?"

Her face streaked with tears, Diana sighed in exasperation.