CHAPTER 116

6 – 6

If she thought back, Camilla could remember a time when, as a young girl, she and Therese were very close.

Therese's father, Viscount Neumann and Camilla's father, Count Patrick Storm, were very close as brothers. The Count often invited his brother to visit him.

And whenever the Viscount and his wife would visit, Therese would always be with them. Back then, Therese was fascinated with Camilla and always followed her around, whilst Camilla loved her like she would a younger sister. Whenever it was time to go home, she would cling to Camilla, not wanting to leave.

But, when Camilla was around seven or eight years old, something started to change in their relationship. Camilla herself had no idea why it happened.

Therese kept visiting the mansion as per usual, and left in the usual way. The first difference was that her tantrums at not wanting to go home got worse and worse. She began to refuse to leave more and more, essentially having to be half dragged out by an apologetic looking Viscount and his wife.

Then, it was as if she suddenly came to despise her. After that, Camilla never felt anything but hatred from Therese.

At the time, Camilla had absolutely no idea what could have possibly caused Therese's wild change in behaviour towards her.

But, she had been deeply hurt by it at the time. That was the truth.

Black hair, just like Camilla's.

A face that resembled Camilla's as well. But, whereas Camilla's expression always felt sharp, Therese's was much softer.

When she smiled, it was like a blooming flower. When she cast her eyes down, it made others want to protect her. In the afternoon, Therese returned to the Storm mansion, where she was beloved by all.

"Welcome home, Therese. How was tea with Miss Liselotte today?"

"Thank you for welcoming me back, father. I had a lot of fun. We discussed a lot of things as well."

"I take it Liselotte hasn't changed much, Therese?"

"That's right, mother. She hasn't changed. She's still deeply happy to be getting married at last. Miss Liselotte also asked me to convey her greetings to you as well mother, father."

Camilla's mother and father greeted Therese in the entrance hall after she arrived.

She looked tired, but still gave them a natural looking smile all the same. Looking at them from afar, they looked like a perfectly normal and happy family.

Camilla, meanwhile, who was supposed to be the true daughter of this house, frowned as she watched from a distance.

She'd heard that Therese had returned and decided to come and see, but she was already regretting that decision.

It was as if Camilla had been nothing to the House of Storm. They had simply replaced their daughter with another, and life continued unaffected by her absence. Whether it was Camilla or Therese, it made no great difference to those parents.

– No.

Those parents of hers, who doted on Therese, were much more gentle and kind with her than they ever had been with Camilla. Therese, a girl adored and loved by many, was a far more suitable future lady of House Storm than their true daughter, a problem child with an awful reputation.

Camilla averted her eyes, clenching her fists. She didn't want to watch anymore.

– ...Time to go back.