CHAPTER 80

4 (3) – 7

A scene was already unfolding at the florist.

"We're here on Master Franz's behalf! We're warning you right now, don't associate with any unsightly displays like festivals! You are only permitted to sell flowers if Lord Franz requests them!"

"I don't know what you're talking about! How do you expect me to run my business like that!?"

"You criminal! Did you not hear what I said, I'm here on Master Franz's behalf!"

"I heard you! But Master Franz has never once visited here to buy flowers! Are you trying to destroy my livelihood!?"

"It only makes sense that it would be destroyed if you have no buyers. In the first place, soft and tepid things like flowers have no place in Blume!"

A group of men surrounded a woman who was the owner of the floristry, their voices so loud they could be heard from outside. None of them seemed to notice that Alois and Camilla had entered the shop either. They didn't look back to see them, still just continuing their argument.

Putting the quarrel aside, the interior of the shop was surprisingly bland.

Was this due to the lack of flowers blooming during the winter? Accompanying the masses of empty flowerpots were a precious few plants that didn't wither away over the winter months. Considering how empty the store seemed, it was a surprise that she was even in business during winter.

Even the men who were arguing with her now were clearly not there to buy flowers. They didn't even seem to be from Blume at all, their formal clothes and the swords that hung from their waists made them look more like soldiers than anything. What's more, Camilla recognized their leader's heavy tone.

– They're vigilantes.

It was not a self-governed group of young men who were native to Blume. They were a militia organized by Franz's faction – the ones who abused Victor's group and tried to humiliate Camilla in public. Camilla felt her brows furrow as she recalled that unpleasant memory.

And if she looked closely, she remembered their faces. Most of all, the man who stood front and centre as he harangued the shopkeeper was unforgettable. He was the very man who had directly insulted Camilla, after all.

"Stop that at once!"

As soon as she recognized that man, Camilla yelled out without caring about the consequences. "Who the hell!?" the men cried out as they turned around.

But when they saw Camilla, as well as Alois standing next to her, they frowned in confusion and surprise.

"L-Lord Alois!? W-what are you doing in such a place?"

It was the man who insulted Camilla before who seemed the most panicked now. Was it because he had come into conflict with Alois before? Maybe he was thinking that he was here to make sure there wouldn't ever be a second time?

"I came to purchase from the florist... However, if only Franz is permitted to buy flowers in Blume, then I suppose I am no exception either?"

Alois spoke with a calm and measured tone. Because he spoke so calmly, Camilla couldn't figure out whether he was being genuine or sarcastic.

"N-No, not at all, how could we ever stop you from purchasing what you like, Lord Alois..."

But, the man clearly took it as biting sarcasm. The bravado from mere minutes ago disappeared as he seemed to shrink before him. The other vigilantes looked confused by how cowed their leader suddenly seemed. Whatever anyone said, Alois was the lord of this land. His influence over the territory of Mohnton was absolute.