CHAPTER 76

4 (3) – 3

Finne's lonely melody was interrupted by the voice of someone who couldn't read the mood at all.

"...Woah, Finne!? I thought I heard something, but that was you!?"

Hearing that sudden voice, Finne stopped playing and took her mouth of the flute out of pure surprise.

Looking up, she saw a familiar young man making his way down the stairs.

Looking slightly bashful as he made his way down on nervous steps, the slender youth looked back at her. Taking off the leather bag he had strapped over his shoulder, he bounded down the rest of the steps.

"Otto!"

Finne raised her voice in stunned disbelief. Otto looked a little embarrassed as he met Finne's shout with a 'hey'.

"Mister Klaus and everyone else as well? What the, I thought I would be the only one here for sure."

Otto smiled as he went over to the corner of the cellar that had once always been his during their practices, with an equally practiced jaunt. Without any ceremony to greet that spot he hadn't seen in a while, he took out his instrument and waited.

But, Finne didn't lead him off like usual. For the last few days, she had been playing in the cellar all on her own.

"Otto, why? I thought that nobody was ever going to come anymore...?"

"Ha? And let you get such a big head start again!?"

Those competitive eyes glared at Finne. But after saying that, Finne just looked confused, so Otto scratched his head.

"You were the first to play a proper sound, the first to play the whole scale, you're always ahead of us. That's why I wanted to get back here as soon as I could sneak out. But even though I did, you even beat me here..."

Finne blinked in surprise as Otto pouted at her. She raised her hand to her mouth as she trembled a bit. It looked like she was struggling to contain her laughter.

However, before Finne burst into giggles, another voice interrupted her.

"Come on, Verrat, go inside."

"Dieter, wait, I don't particularly..."

A bright young man's voice and a hesitant young woman's. Verrat frowned as Dieter pulled her along by her arm.

Noticing Finne staring at him with her hands over her mouth, Otto scratched at his cheek as if he were suddenly a little flustered.

"Ahh... How do I say this, I saw everyone else go in before. I wanted to come in too, but I was a little afraid to go in alone, so..."

Dieter's big body seemed to shrink a little as his cheeks flushed red. But even though his mouth struggled to get the words out, his foot lightly tapped out an impatient beat.

"I'm still worried about the vigilantes, but for some reason, I felt really restless. Before I knew it, I was hitting a bunch of things in my house to try and replicate the feeling."

"You guys... Are all complete fools!"

Throwing off Dieter's hand, Verrat said that as she crossed her arms. Looking at her from the side, Dieter grinned.

"Yeah, you say that Verrat, but haven't you been hanging around here a lot? I've seen you constantly. I mean, I've been watching the place too, right?"

"Hmph!" Without denying Dieter's words, Verrat stuck up her nose. Finne and the rest knew that even if she sounded annoyed, she just wasn't being honest with her feelings.