CHAPTER 56

4 (1) – 5

"Oho? Seems like you're in a good mood today."

The very next day, that flirty voice once again called out to Camilla in the kitchen.

This was around the time when the cooks were either out buying produce or taking their breaks, so Camilla was surprised that there was anyone in the kitchen she had expected to be deserted.

"Something good happen?"

Turning to face the voice, she saw the man she had come to dislike since the previous day. He was laying down on a big wooden crate in the corner of the room. Perhaps he was taking a nap until she walked in?

"Nothing in particular. That said, looking at your face is ruining my mood."

Although Camilla glared at him, Klaus only yawned in response. Raising himself off the box with a cat-like stretch, he ran a hand through his slightly dishevelled hair.

"Your mood swings sure are pretty intense, huh? But I'm sure you'll be happy to see my face one day."

With a tensionless grin on his lips, Klaus sat back down on the edge of the crate. Then, he looked at what Camilla was doing on the kitchen bench.

Arrayed in front of Camilla were onions, garlic and a jar of raspberry jam. For the last few days, Günter had run the junior cooks in the kitchen through a harsh regimen using these ingredients.

In her hand, Camilla held a knife. The oven had already been lit and a flame started underneath the frying pan. It was already obvious to him what she was intending to do.

"Did you even take part in that training at all? Won't he get angry if you just up and use his ingredients without permission?"

Klaus laughed, his voice light and airy.

Camilla had a sense that he was making fun of her, but for now, she ignored his cajoling. With a derisive hmph, she scowled at Klaus.

"I've always been doing this, no one has ever brought it up."

"That so? Pretty sure he'll notice if our stocks begin to run out, though. Maybe the Head Chef won't mind, but aunty is another story."

Aunty... She hadn't considered this man's connection to Gerda until he said that.

The Head Maid, Gerda, was a member of the House of Lörrich. She had been openly hostile to Camilla since the very beginning. Judging her from those encounters alone, Gerda was a severe, stubborn, and also rather dark person. She seemed like the complete opposite of Klaus, who didn't seem to care for anything much other than flirting.

But, Gerda was the elder sister of the current Baron Lörrich. And it only serves to reason that if Klaus was the eldest son of the current head, that would make Gerda his aunt.

"That one, she'd notice even if a single grain of salt was missing. She'd realize if someone was syphoning off food lickety-split."

"But, no one has ever said anything?"

"Then, I guess she's just decided to overlook it, huh?"

Camilla found herself getting angrier the more Klaus talked. Going by his logic, doesn't that mean she was just being toyed with by Gerda?

– What does he mean, overlooked?

She was just a mere servant. Camilla's position at the moment may be vague, but she definitely should still stand above Gerda at any rate. In fact, the only one who should have the authority to truly object to anything Camilla did in this house was Alois himself.