CHAPTER 130

The Capital; One Month Later (4) – Final

The first person who stepped through the door was Camilla, carrying a wooden plate in her hands, as well as a group of children following hot on her heels.

No, actually, it would be more accurate to say they were almost clinging to her heels, they were that close. As they reached out to Camilla, she kept swaying the tray from side to side to keep it away from their hands.

"Camilla, just one more, please can I have one mooooore...?"

"Did you not hear me!? No means no! Besides, just how many did you eat already!?"

"Big sis, can I bake some more cookies with the leftover dough? Miss can light the cooking fire."

"Yes, yes. You can do whatever you like with the leftovers. But make sure to listen to what your teacher tells you to do, alright? Definitely do not touch the fire without her permission, alright!?"

"I gotta pee..."

"Ah, quickly, go then!"

As she gave the young boy a push on the back and urged him out of the room, Camilla suddenly jerked her face upward as if she finally realized something. She noticed Alois looking straight at her.

With an embarrassed frown on her face, she straightened up and strode straight over to Alois, showing him the wooden plate that she held.

On it was a smattering of misshapen biscuits that were moulded by the children themselves. It didn't look like they had been cooked evenly all the way through, and some of them even showed the slightest signs of burning.

"Camilla, these are...?"

"They're for you. I can't quite get them right yet, but if I don't have you try them at least once, Lord Alois, I don't feel like I'll get anywhere."

As she said that, Camilla sat down next to Alois. When one of the more bold children reached out to try and swipe one of the biscuits, she gave his hand a light slap.

"These are for Lord Alois. You've already had your share, haven't you?"

"They're for me...?"

Camilla nodded. She stuck out her chest pridefully like usual, but there was something ever so bashful in her expression.

"...I've been worried about just what to do about it, I suppose. Since it's for Lord Alois, after all."

Camilla couldn't look at Alois dead on as she frowned at him out of the corners of her eyes. Her brow wrinkled as she struggled to keep a straight face. For a moment, Alois thought that she was annoyed about something, but then he realized her expression meant something else entirely.

"Today is Lord Alois' birthday, is it not?"

Alois blinked in surprise.

It was spring. 'Alois' and 'Julian' were born nearly on the same exact day. However, 'Alois' was a few days older.

The town wasn't preparing for 'his' birthday. There was still a big celebration being planned, but that was for 'Julian', the Prince. Eckhart was planning a celebration in the palace, and the town officials had their own plans for a festival. It would be hard for them to leave the city anytime soon with the big celebrations being planned for the birthday of 'Prince Julian'.

Because of that, it seemed like the existence of 'Alois' had all but been forgotten. Even Alois himself had forgotten about it. Camilla was the only one on the capital who seemed to remember his false birthday, from his false life.

As Alois stared at her in wonder, Camilla began to look increasingly frustrated as she sighed softly. She still frowned as she turned to look at Alois properly.