CHAPTER 34

3 – 3

As has been said before, the Montchat are a branch family of the royal family of Sonnenlicht.

Several hundred years ago, the brother of the King at the time began the colonization of the Mohnton territory.

He cleared and cultivated the marshy swamplands of Mohnton, establishing towns and beginning the excavation and export of manastones. In other words, the progenitor of the House of Montchat.

And that founder was served by four key aides. Those four, who accompanied him from the kingdom's capital to help him tame that wild frontier, were granted rank and peerage, with their descendant families serving the Montchat family ever after.

One of them was the Ende family. With a lineage of strong magical power, their house has given rise to many powerful spellcasters over the years.

Another was the Brandt family. They were known for their deft skill and handiwork. It is said that they were the family who played a key role in the development of the manastone mining techniques still used today.

Next was the Lörrich. They were gifted diplomats who served as the Montchat's family's brains.

Finally, the Meyerheim family. Ever since the founding of their family, they had been renowned for their martial prowess, and also served as the head of the four subordinate families.

"...Brandt?"

The two of them sat in Alois' private room in the afternoon. On the table where the cakes from their afternoon tea would usually be piled, instead dusty old books and a fountain pen were laid out. Camilla didn't even have a chance to raise the point of doing something about his rough skin as she listened quietly to the unusually talkative Alois' lecture.

But, when she heard a name that was familiar to her, she couldn't help but interrupt.

"Like Günter Brandt? The cook? That man is actually a noble?"

That can't be, she thought to herself. He was incredibly boorish and crude, there was no way he had any sort of title. He was far more suited to yelling in a kitchen than exchanging pleasantries at a ball.

Alois, sitting opposite to Camilla, nodded as he unfurled a map next to a book with the expanded family tree of the Mohnton nobility.

"Yes. That house were once hereditary baronets. The Brandt family has already collapsed, however, so that title has been revoked. This all happened before Günter was born, so it's hard to see him as much of a noble."

"Ah... Ha..."

"It was his Great-Grandfather that brought ruin on the house. Apparently, they lost out in a conflict with another family. Afterward, the Brandt family name fell into obscurity. In this land, the family lineage carries even more weight than it does back in the capital."

Just like how Günter was now, the Brandt family were known to be boisterous yet ultimately good people. They also were unique in how they actively resisted the chains of traditions that bound the families of the Mohnton territory. Yet, their lack of political subtlety and know-how eventually became their downfall.

Their noble rank was also the lowest of the four houses. Needless to say, they never got along with the other noble families. In a way, their downfall was inevitable because of that.

In Mohnton, excluding the fallen Brandt family, the influence of these founding aristocratic houses could not be underestimated. The members of the Brandt family found it hard to find honest livings after their house's fall, dogged as they were by the new stigma their name held amongst the other houses. They retreated to the shadows, doing their best to live quietly.