CHAPTER 123

6 – 13

The guardsmen lead Liselotte and the others out of the court.

With that, Eckhart pronounced the trial over and ordered the court to disperse.

Half of the reporters outside of the court had already begun sprinting back to their papers to hopefully make tomorrow's edition, whilst the others still loitered, sensing that there was still more to come.

The nobles in attendance couldn't cool their own excitement either. People's eyes were still locked on the centre of the courtroom. Straight at Camilla and Alois, who had overturned the trial together.

"Julian, Miss Camilla, you two ought to leave as well. I don't believe things will settle down anytime soon."

Eckhart spoke to Alois and Camilla with concern in his voice.

"I'll have a room prepared for you. I am sure we have a lot to talk about, don't we? And forgive me, but there are some questions I have to ask. But before all that, the two of you should get some rest."

The exhaustion in Alois' face was even more pronounced now than when he had burst into the courtroom. Ever since Mohnton's rebellion broke out, just how little sleep must he have gotten?

Eckhart also knew about the situation in Mohnton. That poor brother of his, just what burden did he have to carry in order to come here? It was all too painful.

"Brother."

Alois returned Eckhart's gaze. After a moment of brief hesitation, he softly shook his head and stepped back.

"My deepest apologies. I have to return to Mohnton as soon as I can."

"Julian?"

"The sole reason I came to the capital was for Camilla's sake. Please excuse my rudeness for not being able to receive your hospitality properly. I am sure that, one day, we'll be able to talk about everything that's happened."

As Alois bowed gratefully, Eckhart frowned. He looked at Alois and Camilla incredulously, as if he didn't understand what he was hearing at all.

"Do you... truly mean to return?"

Alois grimaced at Eckhart's words.

Mohnton's uprising had been instigated for the purpose of ensnaring Alois once again. After winning, either they would have done away with him for good or, if not, attempted to break his heart once more.

Alois' magical powers had been sealed off by Alois himself. It had been a symbol of that heart of his that had once been broken. An intangible manifestation of his remorse and regret.

They couldn't afford to let Alois unseal his true magic. Their former masters, the Duke and Duchess, had died sealing it away, along with his memories. Because with that power, Alois could overcome it all.

So, that's why Gerda had used that poison. And by framing her for the act, sought to separate him from Camilla. In order to protect the people of Mohnton, it was necessary to betray their lord and start a revolt.

Mohnton should be a place that Alois had come to despise. Both his circumstances and the miasma in the air had forced him to take on a grotesque appearance, the nobles of the land blamed him for every single thing they could, whilst the servants of his house had been overtly trying to exercise control over him.

The days he spent in that land had been hard and painful, it seemed insane that he would want to go back.

"You aren't a member of the Montchat family. You don't have any ties or responsibilities to that land, either. With the real heir to the Montchat family captured, the revolt should die down soon enough."