21- axel's decision

A car pulled up behind Axel. "I'm Nelly Raimon."

The auburn haired girl rolled down her window.

"Oh. Eh, hi,"Axel replied back.

"I don't believe this is your normal route to school,"she said. "I know it's rude, but I've already done a background check on you. And your sister."

Axel looked alarmed. He tried to walk away but Nelly got out of her chauffeured car and grabbed the back of Axel's shirt and spun him around.

"I know you want to play soccer with them,"she leaned in close to his face. "That's why you're standing here!"

He tried to push her away. "Leave me alone."

"Do you really think quitting will help anything? Your sister would want you to go back. You know she would. You've gotten everything backwards."

She let go of his shirt. He raised an eyebrow.

"Just something to think about,"she said as she got back into her car.

Axel was shaken. But he knew Nelly was right.

*********

Mark watched the whole encounter between Nelly and Axel. Were they dating? Clearly not, Axel seemed to be pushing her away the whole time. As soon as she left he started storming off.

Did Nelly like Axel? He didn't want to have to compete with Nelly. Compete? What kind of a person had he turned into?

"I'm gonna do it this time!"Kevin yelled as he ran up to the goal.

Mark snapped out of his thoughts. He needed to do this for Kevin and for the good of the team.

Kevin spun around and a blue aura ignited around the ball. A dragon appeared behind it and followed the ball. Mark braced himself.

The ball went past him and straight into the goal. He was disappointed in himself but extremely proud of Kevin.

The whole team was just as amazed and proud as Mark.

"I swear I just saw a dragon,"Steve said.

"I did too!"Timmy exclaimed.

"Well done, Kevin!"Mark ran out of goals and congratulated him.

"I just did it! I made my shot!"Kevin yelled happily.

Mark put his arm around Kevin. "Yes you did!"

The whole team was celebrating, so they didn't notice a familiar figure approaching them.

When Mark saw him, he felt like he was about to faint.

Axel. Axel Blaze. The silver haired boy who had kissed him (kind of) in the hospital yesterday.

Mark gulped and tried to keep his face neutral. Nathan nudged him. He noticed right away. Mark prayed that Axel didn't think that Nathan knew anything, because he didn't.

"Hey, Evans,"Axel looked at the ground,"I've been thinking."

Mark gulped. He had no idea what to do with his hands, or his facial expressions, so he just stood there plainly, and tried not to act weird.

Axel grinned. "I want in."

Mark's eyes widened. "In? Into the soccer team? Are you serious?!"

Axel nodded.

He couldn't control his face anymore. His face erupted into a massive grin.

The whole team started cheering. Mark and Axel shared a look.

Mark wanted nothing more than to give Axel a hug. But he remembered Axel's words in the hospital and restrained.

Don't tell anyone or i'll kill you.

He knew that Axel wouldn't actually kill him, but he might leave the team, or never speak to him again, so he restrained himself.

Barely.