103 - victory

"Raimon are victors!"the announcer yelled.

Yet the heads of the team were elsewhere. This was the victory they had always craved, yet it was hollow. Did they really deserve this victory?

"We would've still won,"Jude whispered to a dejected looking Mark. "You had your move all figured out."

"I did,"Mark sighed. "I'm glad I got to show it off at least. Before all of this."

"Do you have a name for it, Mark?"Axel asked.

"Hmm."

"I think we should name it power hand!"Willy Glass piped up.

Axel looked him up and down. "I forgot you existed."

Willy Glass then started yelling about how he was an integral part of the team, despite not participating in a single match.

"I'm going to call it Love Hand,"Mark said sheepishly. "It sounds cliché, but it was born out of my love for the team."

"Aww, Mark, that's adorable!"Nathan smiled.

Mark grinned. "I'll show it off more during training."

"What have we even got to train for anymore?"Nelly said. "We're all graduating, aren't we?"

"Who knows. Maybe we'll get together again some time in the future,"Axel shrugged.

"Good luck getting rid of me!"Mark grinned, tackling his boyfriend in a hug. "Not just him, all of you! Just because I'm not dating you doesn't mean you're off the hook!"

The team all laughed.

"We wouldn't want it any other way,"Nathan smiled.

"Agreed,"Sylvia grinned.

*****

The team were about to leave, when Axel was followed by a man in the audience. Mark looked concerned, but when Axel turned around and started talking to the man, Mark felt slightly more at ease.

"It's ok, Mark. You can go. I'm safe, don't worry,"Axel smiled.

Mark just nodded and followed the rest of the team.

The man was Axel's old coach from Kirkwood.

"I heard all about the homophobia and bullying. I'm so sorry I didn't do anything to stop it, Axel."

"It's in the past,"Axel said coldly.

"I've disbanded the team."

Axel gasped. "But you can't do that!"

"Not forever. Just until they mature. You're not the only one that they bullied, Axel. They're facing the consequences for their actions now."

Axel went silent.

"I'm sorry I didn't do anything about it sooner, Axel."

"I didn't leave the team because of that, you know. I'm not some kind of pussy,"Axel said stubbornly.

"I know. I heard about your sister too by the way. I'm so sorry about that. I didn't tell the team because I wanted to maintain your privacy, but I fear that might've been the wrong decision too."

Axel hung his head.

"I know I've made a lot of mistakes, Axel. But you've made me proud. Knowing that one of my players have won the final."

"I'm not your player anymore."

"I know that Hillman is a better coach than I could ever be,"the coach sighed. "I'm using the time that the team is being disbanded to work on my coaching skills to prevent something like this from ever happening again."

"You could take some hints from Coach Hillman. He is a great coach,"Axel said proudly.

"You seem happier, Axel,"the coach said wistfully.

"I am,"he looked off into the distance. "Life is looking up for me."

"I'm sure you'll do great things in the future, Axel. Soccer or otherwise."

"I'm counting on it,"Axel awkwardly laughed.

****

They were all called up for an interview later on. Mark was in the centre, where he belonged.

"Any words for us?"

"I wish Kevin was here to enjoy this victory with us,"Mark said.

"I love you Julia!"Axel yelled, waving at the camera.

"You don't need to cheat to win,"Jude said.

"Apparently you're not supposed to give your pee to random guys in the bathroom,"Jack said innocently.

This got a laugh out of everyone, including the interviewer.

"The Raimon team, everyone!"the interviewer yelled.

Nelly had a party at her mansion for the teak afterwards, but everyone decided to give their favourite foul mouthed friend a visit in the hospital first.

"I don't even need to be here. I'm just higher than usual,"Kevin groaned. "Explaining this to my parents was awful."

Mark laughed. "I'm just glad you're ok."

They managed to convince the doctors to let Kevin go after a few routine tests.

"I'm glad it was you who had the god water,"Sylvia said. "I don't think any of the others would have survived."

"We also wouldn't have snatched the cup out of their hands,"Axel laughed.

Kevin gave Axel a side eyed glare. "You're lucky I like you, Blaze,"before laughing.

A few of them monitored Kevin, making sure he didn't touch any substances, but somehow Kevin managed to get high anyways.

Later in the night, when the team were relaxing, Mark was in Axel's arms on a beanbag in Nelly's living room.

"I'm glad I joined the team,"Axel smiled.

"Me too,"Mark grinned before kissing his boyfriend.

None of this would've been possible without him.