88 - justice is served!

Mark and Axel were on a date at the ramen shop on Monday after school. They figured they might as well eat before training, but it also gave them time to spend together.

Coach Hillman was behind the counter, and smiled seeing the two boys together.

"I'm very happy that you're back, Axel,"he said. "You're definitely still playing in the final?"

"Of course."

"I hate to interrupt you two, but can I talk to Axel in private in the back for about a minute or two?"the coach asked.

"Go ahead,"Mark said. "I don't mind waiting out here for a minute."

Axel followed Coach Hillman into a storage room in the back of the restaurant.

"I'm really sorry for leaving and abandoning the team in a time of need. It was really immature of me and-"

"No, Axel. I'm not coming to talk to you about that. Though I am very happy that you are back before the big final,"said Coach Hillman. "You came back in time, and that's all that matters. I think you also learned a lesson, that running away from your problems is not the answer."

Axel just nodded.

"Anyways, what I wanted to tell you is that I've reported the Kirkwood boys for their homophobia."

Axel gasped. "I didn't ask you to do that!"

"You didn't need to. I will prioritise the safety of every single member of my team, including mental safety. I also had a recording of them berating you, so I did submit that,"said Coach Hillman. "I'm sorry, but there's no way I could've let behaviour like that slide."

Axel just stood there, face blank. Coach Hillman couldn't properly gauge his reaction. Was he mad? Was he glad? The two just stood silently staring at each other until Axel awkwardly hugged Coach Hillman.

Coach Hillman stiffened in surprise. "Uh, what was that for, Axel?"

Axel just smiled at him. "Thank you for standing up for me. Maybe things would've been different if my old coach had done that."

"Maybe,"the coach said. "I think the team will have to go to some sort of boot camp this summer. And the Murdoch brother's in particular will not be allowed to play for the team again until they stop being so hateful."

Axel's jaw dropped. "No way."

"Yes, it's true. The news came through on either Wednesday or Thursday. I wanted to tell you, but all of the boys on the team told me that there was no way to contact you. And I didn't contact you yesterday or Saturday because I knew you wanted to catch up with your friends,"Coach Hillman said. "And Mark of course. Speaking of, how is training going?"

"Mark is trying to learn a new move before the game. Some unnamed move in his grandpa's playbook."

Coach Hillman stroked his chin. "It seems difficult to learn a new move in under a week. But if anyone can do it, it's Mark."

"True. I've never met somebody that's had determination to the level that he does,"Axel said wistfully.

"Oh, right,"said Coach Hillman awkwardly. "I wouldn't want to keep you two apart for longer than necessary. You can go back now."

Axel started walking away, before turning back to the coach. "Thank you so much for everything, Coach."

"I was just doing my job,"the coach shrugged as Axel left the room.

When he was certain Axel was out of earshot, he facepalmed and muttered,"I really just do the bare minimum. How useless was his old coach?"