26- get your head in the game, mark

"What?"Mark repeated.

"I specifically asked you not to tell him,"Axel said.

"Tell him what?"Mark tried to act confused.

"You know, Evans. Even though I know you tried not to for a while. But I can't exactly blame you."

Mark stayed silent.

"I would brag too. I am really hot,"Axel grinned.

Mark laughed. "You are not!"

Axel backed Mark into the wall and looked at him. "I see the way you look at me."

"Why are you doing this, Axel? Is this just a pastime for you?"

Axel laughed. "What would you even call this, anyway? Seeing how red Mark Evans can get?"

Mark tried to cover his face. "God this is embarrassing."

"How so? We're the only ones here?"

Mark looked at the floor. Axel caressed Marks cheek.

Mark looked up at him and grabbed the hand that was on his cheek. Axel grinned and removed his hand from Mark's face.

"Not today, loverboy. Let's get back to the pitch."

Axel left the clubhouse. Mark couldn't uproot himself from his current spot. He had to focus on the game. But how could he?

How could he when the only thing he could think of right now was Axel?

******

Nathan saw Axel making his way back to the pitch, but Mark wasn't beside him. Or behind him. Or anywhere near him.

"Where's Mark?"Nathan asked innocently.

"I don't know,"said Axel.

"He's still in the clubhouse, isn't he?"

"Maybe. I don't care."

"The second half starts in a minute. Where is Mark Evans?"Coach Wintersea was growing increasingly nervous.

"He went to the bathroom,"Nathan said. "I'll go get him!"

Nathan knew this wasn't true. He just had to find out what had happened between him and Axel.

He ran quickly to the clubhouse, and Mark was in there, dazed and sitting on a chair.

Nathan grinned. "Tell me everything!"

Mark just stared into space.

"Ok, if you don't want to right now you don't have to. But you do have to get back to the game. Wintersea is going to bite his whole finger off."

Mark laughed. "Ok."

Mark and Nathan both walked towards the pitch.

"I'm making it such a big deal,"said Mark. "I just-"

"I know. I would too."

"We didn't even talk about anything. We just stood there and looked at each other. Axel made a few sarcastic comments while I tried not to pass out,"Mark sighed.

He knew he wasn't telling the entire truth, but he could fill Nathan in later. Or never. But Mark knew that he had to talk about Axel with someone, eventually.

"As much as I love to talk about you and Axel's situation-ship, we need to focus on the match. The last thing you want is for Nelly to disband the club. Then you'll have no excuse to talk to him,"Nathan sighed. "And then I won't get to live vicariously through you guys."

Mark sighed. "I guess you're right."