30- the notebook

Eventually Axel pulled away, and the two of them gasped for air.

Axel absentmindedly ruffled Marks hair. But as soon as he realised what he was doing, he froze.

"Axel?"Mark asked, one of his hands still hugging Axel's waist. "You ok?"

Axel's eyes widened. Mark looked at him with confusion in his face.

"Fuck,"Axel said.

He slapped Marks hand away and ran off. What strange behaviour.

Mark wasn't sure if he wanted to jump for joy or cry. Jump for joy because Axel finally kissed him, or cry because Axel just ran off with no explanation to what had just happened.

Mark sat down and stared at the wall for a little bit, but then the smell of vomit and piss started to get to him, so he got up and started walking past the noodle bar.

"Mark Evans?"A voice from inside the noodle bar said.

He hoped it was Axels but he knew it wasn't. It was gruff. It clearly belonged to an older man.

******

Mark walked to school with the shots notebook Seymour Hillman had given him the night before. He tried to focus on the good news, and not on the awkwardness that he was about to face with Axel.

To Mark's surprise, Axel wasn't there. But then he realised none of the team was there, except Nathan.

"You came really early,"Nathan said. "How did last night go? I can't read you this time."

"I don't even know,"Mark sat down.

"What's with the notebook? Is it secret love letters?"Nathan snatched it away from Mark, and opened it up to find scribbles.

"That boy has terrible handwriting,"Nathan raised his eyebrows. "What are all these squiggles? Is this dirt?"

Mark laughed. "That's my grandfathers notebook. Mr Hillman, the owner of the noodle shop me and Axel went to last night gave it to me. Get your head out of the gutter."

"So how did it go with you and Axel? Did you guys just talk about soccer the whole time?"Nathan said. "I hoped there would be some action or something."

"We kissed,"Mark blurted out.

"Kiss? Like last time or a proper one?"Nathan seemed excited.

"Keep your voice down! It was a proper make out. We were kissing for a good ten minutes at least,"Mark said.

"Why aren't you happier?"asked Nathan.

"We'll it wasn't as romantic as it sounds. He pulled me into an alleyway that stank of piss. And he left me afterwards,"Mark sighed.

"Oh,"Nathan sighed. "I'm sorry."

"The alley was fine. We could've hardly kissed in the noodle bar,"Mark shrugged.

"Why not? If Axel was a girl you would've,"Nathan sighed.

Mark looked down. "You know I'm pretty open but i'm not that open."

"It's not fair. I wish I was straight."

"Me too. I wish I liked someone normal. Like Nelly or someone,"Mark sighed.

"Speak of the devil."