90- idiots

A little under an hour later, Mark was lying on a hard little bed in the back of Coach Hillman's ramen shop, with an ice pack being held to his head. By Axel. He insisted that Mark shouldn't lift a finger.

"You're exactly like your grandfather,"Coach Hillman said. "An idiot."

The rest of them couldn't help but laugh while Mark glowered.

"I felt something though. The move,"said Mark. "I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but what I'm doing is working!"

Nathan laughed. "Mark, you're probably the bluntest tool in the shed."

Everybody laughed again except Mark. "Guys, I'm serious!"

"If you keep acting like this, you won't be able to play in the finals,"Coach Hillman said. "I know you enjoy causing yourself unreasonable amounts of pain, Mark, but be smart, please."

"Yeah! If you lose the final, you'll make the school look bad! And then my family will look bad!"Nelly said.

Everybody turned to stare at her. "Whoops, sorry. But it's true!"

"Please never talk me into using Fire Tornado on you again, Mark!"Axel shook his head.

Coach Hillman raised his eyebrows and stared at Axel. Axel looked guilty.

"If you can take the day off school tomorrow, Mark, please do that."

"My parents will kill me if they know!"

"I'll walk you home, Mark,"said Coach Hillman. "The rest of you can go."

They all said their goodbyes, except Axel, who refused to leave Mark's side.

"I'll carry him."

"That's causing unnecessary strain on your body, Axel. He can walk,"said Coach Hillman. "You can stay with him though, if you want."

Axel huffed a little bit about not being allowed to carry Mark, but he didn't say anything more about it in case Coach Hillman sent him home.

Mark sat in the front of the car with the Coach, with the seat reclined slightly back so he could be more relaxed, with Axel in the back. The two boys held hands, with the coach occasionally telling them off for being stupid.

"Sorry, Coach,"Axel sighed. "I'm just worried."

"You were the one that caused this in the first place by using Fire Tornado on him,"Coach Hillman said in a disappointed tone.

"I know,"Axel hung his head.

"Don't beat yourself up about it, Axel. Just don't do it again,"the coach said gruffly.

"It was me who talked him into it, Coach."

"I know how persuasive you can be, Mark. Hell, it's the reason I'm even your coach to begin with. But still, don't go talking people into stupid stuff like that. At least until after the final. Then have Axel kick that ball at you until you're in the grave."

Axel gasped. "Surely you don't actually mean that!"

"I can joke too, you know,"the coach said before pulling into the driveway of Mark's house.

"Before you ask, Axel, no, you can't carry him,"the coach said gruffly.

Axel reluctantly agreed before he watched Mark and the Coach walk into the house. The Coach came out about a minute later.

"I dramatically downplayed his injuries. He still won't be in school tomorrow. And hopefully not at training. But we can't afford to have him off any longer than that,"the coach furrowed his brow.

"True,"said Axel. "Will I get out here?"

"Don't be silly. I'll drive you home too."

"You're a good coach, sir."

"Just doing my job."