81 - come back to me, my love

Mark woke up around 5am the next morning. In all honesty, he barely slept. So he decided to not try anymore after waking up for what felt like the millionth time, and just called the number that Nelly gave him for her driver.

"Nelly is paying, right?"Mark kept repeating.

"She assured me that none of her friends are rich enough to afford my services. So yes, she is."

"Perfect. Can you please pick me up now?"

"Mark Evans, right? Nelly has provided the address. I'll be over in about 15 minutes. Be ready."

"I will!"

*******

Mark left a note on the refrigerator saying that he would be at training all day, and waited patiently outside for Nelly's driver. He showed up exactly on time. Mark sat into the plush seats.

"Seeing Axel?"the driver said.

He nodded quietly.

"I wish you all the best, sir."

"How bad was it?"Mark asked quietly.

"It's not my place, sir,"said the driver. "It'll go how it'll go."

Neither of them talked for the rest of the journey. Mark was trying not to be sad about the whole situation, but it was difficult to not just sink into his own sadness.

He just stared out the window while listening to his favourite motivational playlist. Eventually, he couldn't stand to fake it, so he just turned on his sad playlist.

His parents were worried about him. They forced him to stay at home on Monday. Mark had never acted out before, and it greatly concerned them.

At least one parent supervised him when he was home and awake, which sickened him. The guys at school acted similarly, much to his annoyance. However he never said anything, because he didn't want to upset himself further.

The team themselves were on edge because Mark wasn't performing the way he usually did, which had a knock on effect to everybody else. Mark pretended that he didn't hear the way they muttered bitterly about how they'll probably lose the final.

Mark probably wouldn't have minded if Axel came back just to play. Even if they didn't resume their romance the same way that they did before. Mark's heart ached without Axel. He had never been away from him for this long since they had first met.

He looked for him in the hallways, in every person he saw on the street. He stared at the empty spot in the field where Axel was supposed to be. He looked for him in the clubhouse, behind the ramen place.

Nobody mentioned him for fear of setting Mark off, but that upset Mark more. He wanted to talk about Axel. Not talking about him made him think about him more, weirdly enough.

Mark didn't stop for any breaks, unlike Nelly and Nathan. The driver would occasionally tell him how far away they were. Eventually the car entered the tropical town.

"I'll park a few houses down. In case they recognise me,"the driver said.

"What? What happened?"

"Miss Nelly refused to leave. So that probably left a bad taste in their mouths. They live in number 3. Best of luck, sir,"the driver said sincerely.

Mark just smiled at him, but he looked pained as he grabbed his bags, and walked until he saw number 3. He rapped on the door, and a man in his mid 30's answered.

"Who are you?"he asked gruffly.

"I'm a friend of Axel's,"Mark said quietly. "May I see him?"

"You don't want any trouble? We had some 'friends of Axel's' last week and they were very rude. I practically had to drag the girl off him."

"I promise I don't,"Mark said quietly, making eye contact with the man. "When you want me to leave, I'll go. Please just let me see him."

"Fine. He probably doesn't want to see you, though,"the man said gruffly, beckoning Mark inside. "Well, come in then."

Mark bowed at the door and followed him in.

"You're definitely more polite than the other two,"the man mumbled before yelling,"Axel! There's someone here to see you!"

"Coming!"he yelled.

Mark's heart rate quickened. That was his voice. That was the boy he loved. That was his voice.

It became more real when Axel entered the room. It truly was him. Normally Mark would run up to him and hug him, kiss him even. Smile at him. Something. But all he could do was stand there.

Axel's uncle coughed. "Well, I'll leave you two to it then,"before leaving the room.