73- his decision

The victory against Kirkwood felt bittersweet, especially as they continued to insult Axel until they walked off the pitch. They probably insulted him after that too, but nobody could hear them then.

"The coach wouldn't answer me,"Mark said to Nelly. "Where is Axel?"

"Apparently he's sick,"Nelly said. "He wouldn't tell me anything more, but I don't believe him. Do you?"

"Not for a second!"Mark said. But no matter how much he badgered Coach Hillman, the man still wouldn't give him answers.

He sat next to Nathan on the way home. Nathan felt guilty as he used this opportunity to get closer to Mark then he normally could.

"Those Kirkwood boys are such assholes,"Nathan sighed, hugging Mark. "Stupid homophobic assholes."

"I can't believe they're getting away with it,"Nathan sighed. "Hopefully Coach Hillman will do something."

"I'd say he will. He is a man of his word after all,"Mark sighed. "It still doesn't make it any easier. They probably bullied him for years, Nathan. It makes me sick!"

"Same, to be honest,"and he found that he was telling the truth. Axel wasn't a bad guy. He just happened to be the boyfriend of the boy that Nathan loved. No big deal.

*********

Axel tried not to cry on the taxi ride home. Luckily for him, the taxi driver was quiet and didn't ask him any questions. He wasn't just sad for himself, he also felt incredibly guilty for dragging Mark into his mess.

He wished that people like them didn't exist. All he wanted was to be happy with his boyfriend. He didn't even know that was what he wanted until he met Mark. He never even knew that he wanted romance in his life until he met Mark.

He didn't even know he was capable of feeling fluffy until he met Mark. But it was because of his feelings for Mark that he now felt the way he did.

He didn't want Mark to experience homophobia. Mark was always accepted, it seemed, and Axel didn't want him to ever feel any different. Especially not if he was the cause of those feelings.

Axel had a long journey to stew in his own upset feelings. When he eventually got home, the house was empty, of course. His father was a doctor, which meant that he was gone 90% of the time, which meant that Axel was alone yet again.

Axel sighed and picked up his phone. He hated calling his father at work, but he knew he had to. It was urgent, as Axel had made an important decision.

Axel knew that his father wouldn't mind his decision, as he didn't like Axel spending so much time playing soccer anyways. He would much prefer Axel to study and follow in his footsteps.

Still, Axel couldn't help but sweat a little as he called his father.

"Yes, Axel? Can you not see I'm at work?"his father sighed, before even saying hello.

"It's important. I think I want to stay with my aunt and uncle for a while."

"What?!"his father sounded alarmed. "Why? You've still got 2 months left in the school year! Can this not wait till summer?"

"You know how I'm friends with the chairman's daughter? I can just get her to give me the last 2 months of work and I can teach myself. I did it before last year, after Julia's accident. You know I'm dependable."

"I thought you loved your soccer?"his father still sounded confused. "Are you ok, Axel?"

"Yes, I'm fine,"Axel said firmly. "I just need a break."

"Did your team not get through to the final or something?"

"I don't know, dad! Since when did you care so much anyways?"Axel sighed.

"I'm just making sure that this is what you really want. I can arrange a car for you to go tonight if it's what you really want. Ok?"

Axel sighed and mumbled,"Thank you, dad. I knew you'd understand."

Axel hung up the phone then, and began drafting a letter to Mark. He knew that he had to be gone quick, before the team came back. He knew that Mark would look for him. And then he'd feel guilty and stay. Even though he knew it was best for Mark if he left.

He planned to drop the letter off in Mark's mailbox. The brown haired boy was rarely home, so Axel didn't worry about getting caught.

Axel normally didn't struggle at school, thankfully inheriting his parents smartness, but for the first time in his life, he struggled to find the right thing to write.