91 - can't be confined

During lunch break the next day, the team went to the clubhouse to hangout like normal. What they were not expecting was to find Mark lying on the beanbag, poring over his grandpa's notebook.

"Mark!"Axel yelled. "What the fuck are you doing here?!"

"Team told me you had a concussion!"Kevin said. "What are you doing at school?"

"I couldn't miss a chance to talk with you guys! Especially since the match is on Sunday!"

"How did your parents let you out?"Axel asked.

"Oh, I just left after they went to work,"Mark laughed.

"You're such an idiot!"Nelly facepalmed. "You were supposed to rest!"

"I rested all morning. But I got bored. So I'm here to see you guys now,"Mark grinned. "Are you guys not happy?"

"We aren't,"Nathan grimaced. "You're supposed to be in bed."

"Come on! Nothing could get me to stay in the house that long!"Mark said passionately. "Do I look like somebody that would stay in bed all day?"

"I suppose not,"Axel sighed.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I'm convinced I'll get the move. I felt it!"Mark grinned.

"Whatever, crazy boy,"Axel said affectionately. "Just lie on the beanbag for now."

"I'll get my driver to take you home,"Nelly said.

"Wait, what?!"Mark said. "No! We were supposed to play!"

"No can do, Mark,"said Axel. "Coach's orders."

Mark huffed and crossed his arms. "You guys are no fun."

"You're extremely irresponsible, Mark,"Nelly sighed. "And my driver is bringing you home whether you want him to or not."

"Huh?!"

"That's an order,"Nelly grinned.

Everyone laughed, except Mark.

"Ugh, I love having authority."

********

Later, after the team had forced Mark into Nelly's driver's car, the team went their separate ways for the rest of lunch.

Axel and Nelly stayed together though, and had lunch in her father's office.

"So,"said Axel. "Anything interesting?"

"Uh, actually yeah,"said Nelly. "I don't know if you're ready to hear it, though"

"I'd say I'm ready for everything,"he said, biting into his sandwich.

"My father knows a detective. You know the way that Ray Dark went rogue after your match against Royal?"

"Yeah? And?"

"The detective has found out something."

"Cut to the chase, Nelly!"

"Ugh, fine! I was trying to deliver this news in a nice and thoughtful way, but never mind,"Nelly said angrily. "This detective has found out that Ray Dark was the one who caused your sister's accident to sabotage your team last year."

"Fuck off,"Axel could feel the anger rising. "Are you kidding?"

Nelly put her hand on Axel's shoulder and looked into his eyes with sincerity. "I wouldn't joke about something this serious."

Axel felt the necklace that his sister had given him. She was such a lovely person. And this lunatic had taken a whole year of her life away from her, just because he wanted to win?

"The heartless bastard,"Axel could feel himself shaking with anger.

"I know,"Nelly said. "It's hard to believe that there are such evil people out there."

"If I ever find him, I'll fucking kill him!"

"Your team must've been a threat, for him to try and sabotage you,"said Nelly softly.

"Well, as individual players we were strong. But we lacked unity. Royal has unity. Raimon has unity. Kirkwood just doesn't. Which is why they don't usually get past the semi final. Every single player has their own strengths, but everyone was to be the star player,"said Axel. "But that's not how it works, is it?"

"No, I suppose not,"Nelly sighed. "Still, I do want to find that Ray Dark. And put him to jail."

"I want to put him down,"Axel growled.

Nelly's eyes widened.

"He's an ass who tried to kill my sister. Of course I want him dead. Don't tell me you have the power to do that?"

Axel looked hopeful.

Nelly sighed. "Good hitmen are very expensive. I'm rich, but not that rich."

"I hope he goes to jail and rots there then. I don't know,"Axel shrugged. "But people with as much power as him usually don't go to jail, do they?"

"No,"said Nelly. "The most I can do is track him down, and maybe tip some police off to his whereabouts. And my father and I are already doing that."

"Wasn't Mark's grandfather killed in some freak accident? That could've been Ray Dark too,"Axel said, gritting his teeth in disgust.

"Yeah, it seems pretty likely, doesn't it?"

"I just love my sister so much, and it angers me what happened to her. Even more so now that I know it wasn't an accident,"Axel said. "It really was soccer that put her in a coma..."

Axel got up from his chair and looked lost in thought.

"You're hardly going to give up soccer again, are you?"

"Don't be absurd. It's not about soccer. It's about some random weirdo who's upset with victory,"Axel crossed his arms. "We just have to win the final. I just hope that Mark is able to perfect his move in time."

"Me too,"Nelly sighed.