75- answer me

Mark's knuckles were in severe pain by the time Axel's father answered the door.

He looked down at Mark. "Who are you?"

Mark sighed, and forgot that he had changed out of his uniform after the match, so it wasn't immediately clear who he was.

"Uh, I'm a friend of Axel's. Do you know where he is?"

Axel's dad looked shocked. "Wow, this soon? My son left to stay with his uncle and aunt about an hour ago."

"He said that, but where is he? I need to see him,"Mark said desperately.

"I don't feel comfortable disclosing that information, given that I have absolutely no clue who you are,"Axel's dad said firmly.

"You just have to take my word for it,"Mark shrugged. "Im the goalkeeper for Raimon. Axel is one of our strikers. His signature move is Fire Tornado. He used to go to Kirkwood High. His sister Julia is in a coma from an accident the night of last years soccer frontier final. He likes his noodles bland because he can't handle spice-"

"You can stop. You clearly know him. I suppose my son and I don't talk much, with me being a doctor and all,"his father sighed. "If you're that close, I don't see why he wouldn't tell you where he was gone. Can you not call him?"

"I think he's blocked my number,"Mark sighed. "Can I call him off your phone? I'll leave you alone after that, I promise."

Axel's father sighed and muttered,"it's too late for this shit."

"Is that a yes or a no?"Mark asked hopefully.

"It's a yes, but you have to come into the house, and I'll supervise the call. I don't want you stealing my phone,"Axel's father said gruffly.

"Oh thank you so much!"Mark threw his arms around Axel's father. "You will NOT regret this!"

Axel's father shrugged him off and looked at him with confusion. "I still have no clue who you are, boy. You're a bit over familiar, aren't you?"

"I apologise, sir,"Mark bowed.

"That's more like it,"Axel's father led Mark into his living room. He gestured for Mark to sit on the couch beside him, and handed Mark his phone.

"Just one call. If he doesn't answer, that's it. Then you leave."

"That's fine,"Mark sighed.

He looked for Axel's name in the contact list. His name was under 'Axel (son)'

He pressed it and brought the phone up to his ear. The dialling tone lasted for far longer than Mark would've liked, but eventually it ended.

Mark braced himself for the terrible answering machine message, but there was just silence, eventually followed by Axel's voice saying,"Dad? Why are you ringing me for?"

His voice sounded tired, and hoarse, almost as if he had been crying too. Mark inhaled dramatically.

"Axel? It's me."

"Mark? Where did you get my father's phone? What the fuck?"

"I don't know what you're doing, but please, come home. I don't give a shit about what those Kirkwood boys have to say. I know you do, but it doesn't hurt me at all. I've heard those things before, believe it or not, but it's behind me."

The only sound on the other line was Axel's heavy breathing.

"I love you, Axel. Please come home. I don't even care if you don't want to play in the final. Come home for me."

There was still no reply, but Mark could tell Axel was still there. It was just him and Axel in that moment. He didn't even notice Axel's father's concerned look.

Eventually, Axel quietly replied,"I have you blocked for a reason. Please don't call me again." And then he hung up.

Mark didn't even look at Axel's father as he handed the phone back.

"Thank you for your time, sir,"he bowed, before walking quietly out of the house.

As soon as he was out of the house, however, he began sprinting up the hill, past Axel's house. Meanwhile, Axel's father stared at him out the window.

"What the fuck was all that about?"