Witch Trial

(A/n): Hey guys! So the song I put in here won't necessarily be used in this chapter. I just wanted to show where I got the story line for this chapter and for later reference. I probably will use this song at some point, but not this chapter! Also I'm sorry it's so short, but oh well! The next ones will be longer I promise.

(Y/n)'s POV

"This story starts out with a young witch living in Corona. She hid and concealed her true identity very well. There was only one person who know who she truly was. That person was her best friend. She was a very religious woman who didn't agree with her best friends ways, but none the less, supported her. One day, the witch was walking through the kingdom when her bonnet flew from her hair and at the feet of the young prince." Xavier started his story and I held Varian's hand tighter getting more excited as I wanted to hear how he tells the story.

"The prince gave it her hair piece back to her, and she immediately fell in love. The witch was infatuated by the prince from that moment on. She casted multiple love spells onto the prince, and they were successful." Xavier said and I tilted my head to the side confused. 'That's...that's not what my book says.' I thought to myself.

"The prince was put under her spell. The witch was the only thing ever on his mind. The witch's best friend had taken into consideration of how the prince had started acting. She had decided to tell her best friend what she had noticed about the prince. When she arrived, she saw her best friend performing her love ritual. She continued chanting and bragging about how the prince was now in love with her, and all thanks to a love spell." Xavier said and I glanced at Varian to see him entirely immersed with the story, while I was left confused.

"The girl ran away as fast as she could to find the prince. Once she found him, she told him everything that she had seen. 'She kept all the magic out of sight. How else to achieve what you feel?' The girl explained to the prince. The prince immediately was broken from the witch's curse and the hunt began. Once they found her, they had a very small quick trial for her. During the trial, the witch pleaded she was innocent and was truly in love with the prince. Never wanting to do anything to hurt him. The prince was enraged by her lying behavior, he removed his sword and forcibly cut off all of her hair. The next morning she was sent to be burned alive." Xavier said the last part softly. 'This isn't like my book at all.' I thought to myself.

"They tied her to a large cross and the witch's former best friend gathered the towns people for the event. The witch was crying as she was tied up to her eyes. The girl shouting at her former best friend that they are doing this because it's the only thing they can do. The witch cried out to her friend about how she's the one who was lying not her. The witch shouted curses as they lit the fire beneath her. As the flames went around her legs, large black feathered wings grew from the witch's back breaking away the rope that held her to the cross. The witch glared at the prince and the girl with nothing but hatred in her eyes. 'I will be back.' She said before taking off, never to be seen again." Xavier finished his story and Varian was the first one to speak up.

"That's, uh, pretty dark." He said and Xavier nodded. "This is one of Corona's oldest secrets." Xavier was about to continue when I cut him off. "But it's wrong." I said looking up at him and he sighed. "Yes, we now know that what they did was wrong, but-" "N-no, that's not what I mean. I mean your story, it's wrong. That's not the truth." I said and Xavier and Varian both stared at me confused.

"What do you mean, it's not the truth?" Varian asked and I reached into my satchel before pulling out the book that had been gifted to me. I quickly turned to the chapter about the witch trial. "In here, it says that the prince and the witch were madly in love, but she never used a love spell on him. Besides even if she did, when the prince was made aware of this, he wouldn't have cared. He still would have loved her and been obsessed with her because that's how love spells work. The religious best friend was the liar. She was also in love with the prince and was jealous of her best friend. She lied to the prince. He was against the entire trial because it was the girl he loved, but in the slightest case it was true, he wanted to protect his kingdom. During the trial, he cut her hair off, but he was heartbroken as he felt like he had betrayed her and destroyed her beauty." I said as I handed the book to Xavier.

"Where did you find this?" He asked as he quickly read through the pages. "Death gave it to me. He told me that he wanted me to make Corona known of their grave mistake, but I don't understand how a witch trial can be so important." I said and Varian pipped in. "The witch said she'd return, right? Well, maybe she did return. Or is going to." He said and I stared at him wide eyed. "What? It's just a theory, I didn't think it was that bad, geez." He said and I continued to stare at him. "I-I think you might be right." I said softly and Xavier handed me back the book.

"You should speak to the princess from here on out about this. I feel it is going to be of great importance later on." Xavier said before walking ahead of Varian and I. "What's the plan?" Varian asked me and I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not sure. I...I think I'm gonna ask Death about where to go next." I said and he nodded.

We walked together in silence for a little bit before Varian spoke up. "So how was the race for you?" He asked and I smiled softly. "I-I think I'm getting closer to just being able to summon my wings all the time again." I said and Varian smiled and hugged me close to him. "Really?! That's awesome! I'm so proud of you! You have to tell me everything that happened!" He said and pulled away from the hug waiting for me to tell him everything that happened.

"Hades, he helped me out a bit. He said something and it actually started to make a lot of sense." I said looking up at him seeing that I still had his full attention. "He said that I'm holding myself back. Afraid of myself and things that have and might happen. He said I need to stop fearing myself in order to reach my full potential." I said with a light sigh at the end. There was a moment of silence before Varian spoke up.

"Milady, are you okay? Do you wanna talk about it?" Varian asked and I stared down at the ground shrugging my shoulders. "I-I don't know. I-I'm not sure if I'm ready to...face it. You know?" I asked softly and he nodded. "I completely understand. But you do need to talk about it sometime. And when you do, I'll be right here to listen and help all that I can." He said softly and squeezed my hand to reassure me that he was there when I needed him. "Thank you. I really appreciate it, Sapphires." I said softly and he smiled. "It's no problem at all, milady." He said before kissing the back of my hand making a light blush cover my cheeks.