Naps and Soup

My arms draped from Varian's shoulder and down towards his chest as I snuggled closer to him. I heard him let out a soft laugh before gently readjusting me on his back. "You comfy up there, love?" He asked and I nodded into his neck before pulling my head away to squint up towards the sun. "It's so bright...how the hell is it so cold?!" I said placing my head back on his shoulder.

"It's not cold. You're just broken." Varian said and I let out a light laugh. "I'm defective." I said and it was his turn to laugh. "Don't worry. We're about half way there." Varian said and I sat up to let out a few more coughs. "Wow, milady...you sound awful." He said and I groaned. "Hey, Sapphs?" "Yeah?" "Shut up." I said and he laughed.

"I still say we should've gotten at least some books." I grumbled and I could feel Varian roll his eyes. "Hey, milady?" "Yeah?" "Shut up." He said and I laughed. "Okay, I deserved that."

I started to get comfy against Varian's neck before I picked my head up again. "Love, you can get comfy. We still have a ways to go before we get to old Corona." Varian said and I felt his thumbs rub against my thighs. "I don't want to get you sick. You're already carrying me. I don't want to increase the chances of you catching what I have." I said softly.

"Aww, you're worried about me getting sick? That's so sweet!" He said turning his head to smile at me as best he could. "That's very sweet of you, love, but if I end up getting sick then that's just how it's meant to be." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"You're saying that with way too much confidence. Why?" I asked and he laughed. "I'm serious, milady. It would be an honor to catch what you have." He said with his voice becoming more dramatic and he threw his head back towards me. I let out a soft laugh before it was interrupted by coughs.

A long sigh left my mouth as I placed my chin on Varian's shoulder. "Sapphires?" "Yeah?" "I feel broken. And gross. And cold." I said and he shrugged his shoulders. "How else do you think you'd feel, sicky?" He said with a light laugh.

I pouted and we both stayed quiet for a few minutes. "How much longer? I want Quirin to tell you you can't be getting sick either." "Jokes on you, milady, my dad isn't in town right now." He said and I could feel the smirk radiating off of him. "And we'll be there soon. Once we get there you're going straight to my bed. And I don't want to hear anything about you getting me sick from being in there okay?" He said and he was surprisingly stern.

"It's not complaining if it's a genuine concern." I said pouting again. There was a short moment of silence before Varian broke it. "You're pouting aren't you?" He said. "Sapphires I won't hesitate to cough all over you." I said and he laughed.

"Wait...why isn't Quirin in town? He's always in town." I said taking his goggles off his head and running my hand through his hair. Varian was quiet for a few seconds before a sigh left his mouth. "I...I'm not really sure. I just woke up to a note saying that he'll be back in a few days." He said and his head tilted down towards the ground.

"Do you want to vent, advice, or just drop it? I'm fine with any of them but I personally like venting more." I said while ruffling his hair slightly. He thought for a few seconds before sighing again.

"I-I don't know. I just feel like he's hiding something from me. I'm not even sure if it's anything serious or not. But I'd still like to be kept in the loop." He said softly before taking a deep breath. "I'm his son for crying out loud! He should be able to tell me what's going on in his life and not keep secrets." He said and I felt his hands tightly slightly on my thighs before his grip went back to how it was.

"I'm sorry you're going through that, Sapphs. I know how much you don't like secrets. Have you tried talking to him about it?" I asked placing his goggles back on his head before breaking out into a coughing fit. "God being sick normally is gross, but all of this?" I said showing Varian my multicolored sleeves. "This is so gross and weird." I said and he let out a soft laugh.