Chapter 5

{Grady White & Gunshots}

I wake up the next morning, the rooster being the reason for it as the sun blazes through my blinds. I get up and go for a quick shower while John B is still fast asleep, JJ must have gone home earlier. As I stand in the shower and turn it to cold and lift my head as the water droplets fall onto my body.

It was the first time in two days I could finally get a moment to be by myself and think this through properly. Over the past 24 hours, we've found a boat that belongs to a dead man. A man who was close friends with my father and my father also happened to disappear and die at sea. It's confusing and I am trying to get my head around it all but I can't, there's just too much we don't know about.

After a few minutes, I hop out of the shower and let my wavy hair dangle below my shoulders as I apply my morning skin routine and wrap a towel around my body. I walk out of the bathroom into my room and scavenge my closet looking for an outfit for the day. 'Get decent, sweetie. We need to talk.' A familiar voice speaks up from the door making me jump. Officer Peterkins looks at me before leaving the room to wake my brother as well.

After five minutes, my brother and I joined her in the living room. 'Sorry to break in like this but DCS called. They wanted me to check on you, see how you're doing.' Officer Peterkin states and my brother and I both sigh as we look at each other. ''So, how are you, besides the—' she trials on motioning to John's black eye. 'Oh no, I'm great. Yeah, fantastic. Thanks for coming by.' He assures her and she rolls her eyes. 'I'm so glad to hear that, John B. How about you Jackie? How are you?' She asks looking at me. 'Perfect.' I shrug and she hmms.

'You see I've heard a couple of things that worried me. Let me see if I can remember. Oh yeah, one of the things I heard was about your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, who hasn't been in the state for the last three months.'  She says looking at the two of us, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion hoping she falls for it. 'That's false' John B lies. 'You don't have to say anything. I know it's true. I called the school. They said you two used to be good students, but now you're failing your classes.' She sighs walking over to the dining tables.

She picks up a used joint and brings it to her nose. 'No, no, I'm only failing one, and it's history.' My brother says and I nod. 'Yeah, and I'm doing great in English and maths.' I confirm. 'I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun involved.' She states walking closer to John B and I. 'Okay. Gun? No. Did I get in a dustup? Yes, but was there a gun? No. No way.' My brother says tapping Peterkin on the shoulder. 'That's okay. I know who it was. I'll get to him.' She says and I gulp thinking of JJ, was she talking about JJ?

'All I'm worried about right now is making sure you're in a safe home.' She states and John B scoffs. 'Yeah, super safe.' He confirms. 'Super sound, sturdy, you know?.' John B adds and Peterkin sighs. 'And Uncle T is coming back, so.' John b points outs. 'That what he told you?' She asks us. 'Yep.' We agree in unison. 'If he is coming home, I think you should be allowed to stay.' She tells us and we nod in agreement.