Chapter 54

{Failed Mission}

{Failed Mission}

As I sit in the EMT looking at the ultrasound pictures, I couldn't help but smile even if we were in a very tense situation right now. 'Waiting on your call, John b.' JJ mutters to himself as he taps his fingers nervously on the steering wheel. 'Come on, buddy.' JJ whispers and I let out a sigh, as I place the pictures back in the envelope and into JJ's bag. 'He'll be out—' I go to speak but I get cut off by the sound of a police siren. 'Shit!' I curse as I get down on the floor in the back of the ambulance. 'Stay down!' JJ whispers to me trying to hide his face.

'Hmm. I hate when it's slow like this, you know?' The officer speaks to JJ. 'Tell me about it, man.' JJ says making his voice sound deeper and more mature. 'Hey, what happens to Ricky? He bang out?' The officer questions. 'Something like that.' JJ exhaled looking at the officer. 'One three Eddie. We got an unknown at KC Detention.' A woman voices speak through the radio. 'Uh, yeah, ten-four. I'll be right there. Thank you so much. Over.' JJ speaks into the com. 'Duty calls. I'll see you later, Officer. Uh, you have a good night, though, okay?' JJ tells the officer as he starts up the engine. 'Hold on.' The officer speaks up as my eyes widen. 'I got nothing to do. I'll pave you.' He says, turning on his sirens.

Arriving, JJ backed the truck into the loading dock. He immediately hops out and explains to the workers that Ricky was off work due to food poisoning from egg rolls. Everything was going smoothly until we notice the man being pulled out was not John b. 'Uh, is that the only patient tonight there, ma'am?' JJ asks looking around for any sign of John b. 'Why? You wanna take more than one tonight?' The nurse chuckles. 'I mean, I would if I had to. That's what I'm trying to say. Uh, I was just think that I was called in because my patient had appendicitis.' JJ says as his plan was falling apart. 'This is our only patient.' The nurse  states and I sigh in frustration at how bad this is all turning out. 'Where did you say you work?' She questions JJ. 'Dare county, ma'am.' JJ turns around to face her with a smirk. 'I worked over there. Never seen you.' She states cocking her eyebrows. 'Well, that's because, you know, I just levelled up in the ranks so fast.' JJ lies. 'Look, I would love to sit and chat, but we gotta get moving. We gotta get our patient to the hospital.' JJ says as he approaches the back of the ambulance, I quickly hop into the passenger seat out of site while he goes to open the door.

'JJ, is that you?' The man in the wheelchair mumbles, making JJ freeze in his spot and his eyes widen in shock. 'He's delusional as shit.' JJ says. The keys jingle as he struggles to find the right key to unlock it. After a moment the door opens and I let out a sigh of relief. 'All right, let's get him on up there.' JJ says. 'So, where is your partner?' The nurse asks as the phone begins to ring. 'I told you. Egg rolls.' JJ says. 'Who's gonna look after your patient if you're driving?' She asks. 'Well they told me that the officer could drive.' JJ answers. 'No, he's an inmate. I gotta be in the back.' The officer shakes his head. 'Wait, hold on, Officer. You're saying that you're gonna be responsible for me not taking care of my patient. Is that what you're telling me?' JJ began to ramble on. 'Because look at him. He's weak, feeble, and pale and shit. And I gotta do medical stuff on him or else we're gonna lose him, okay? You don't want that on your hands.' JJ says as he hops in the back of the ambulance and tosses the keys to the officer. 'This didn't happen.' The officer tells the nurse as he closes the door and locks it and the nurse goes back inside. 'Jackie! Quick back here and hide.' JJ whispers to me and I quickly hop in the back and sit down at the wall where the police officer doesn't have any view.

I glance over at JJ with a worried expression as operation liberation was falling apart and we both knew it. 'Be advised, a 10-63 in progress. I repeat, a 10-63 in progress. Do you copy?' The woman speaks through the radio. 'Copy.' The officer responds as we drive fast down the road. JJ clears his throat as he can tell something is going on. 'Officer, everything good up there?' He asks, the officer ignores him and shuts the glass that separated us from him. My eyes widen in fear as police sirens are heard following us. 'Come on, Kie. I need a miracle.' JJ mumbles as he texts Kie an sos message. JJ starts cursing and I run my hands through my hair anxiously. This was it, we're going to jail. This means we failed John b and he's stuck in detention center. I couldn't bare the thought of my brother getting the death penalty. 'I'm sorry, babe!' JJ apologises as he slides down the wall of the ambulance beside me. 'I..I'm so fucking sorry, baby.' He cries, as I interlock our hands. 'I failed you, John B and our baby.' He sobs and I shake my head. 'You could never fail us, JJ. This was a brilliant plan, and no matter what happens, it'll be okay, cause we have each other.' I assure him placing my hand on his cheek. After a moment the ambulance screeches to a halt, sending the both of us flying across the ambulance. 'Shit!' I groan as I stand up and walk over to JJ and could hear Kie apologise to the officer and our eyes widen in amusement.

We waste no time in jumping out of the ambulance and make a run for it. Pope and Kie drove around to another street to meet us. They pulled to a stop in front of us and we immediately hop in. I pant out of breath in the back seat next to JJ, as he looks over at me trying to catch his breath. 'I love you so much.' He pants and I smile at him. 'I love you too.' I whisper. 'I'm seriously not even gonna ask.' Kie says as she drives down the road. 'Look, I busted the wrong guy out of jail. Sue me.' JJ scoffs. 'What?' Kie asks in disbelief as she looks back at me and I nod in confirmation. 'At least we were trying.' He argues. 'Why are you two always doing such stupid shit? You're literally made for each other.' Kie lectures us. 'Well, I'm gonna end up in jail anyway, so..' he mutters looking down at the ground, as the comment officer plumb says replays in his mind, I take a deep breath and nudge over to the next seat beside him and rest my head on his shoulder as I place my hand on his. 'It's okay.' I whisper raising his hand and give it a gentle kiss. 'You okay, man?' Pope asks looking back at JJ in concern. 'Yeah.' He sighs resting his head on mine and tracing circles on my palm. It didn't take long until we drifted off to sleep.

To be Continued...