Chapter 15

{Feels Like Home}

{Feels Like Home}

'I'm so glad that they're still doing this.' Kie says as the four of us walk through the park where the movie is taking place. Pope walks beside her as they carry the chairs. JJ and I walk behind them carrying a cooler and blankets. 'Keep calm. Carry on. Back to OBX life. You know? Aren't you glad I made you guys come?' She asks. 'Ecstatic.' Pope says sarcastically as he clears his throat. 'I was pretty comfy in bed with Jackie, I'll be honest.' JJ says sending me a wink and I smile.

'We're in the green zone, man.' Pope whispers to JJ and me while Kie goes to get us drinks. ''Dude, tranquillity, okay?' JJ states and Pope sighs. 'We're in the middle of Kooklandia.' Pope says placing the chairs on the ground. 'This is the last place I wanted to be.' Pope argues. 'Shut up, Pope.' JJ says sitting down. After a moment Kie rejoins us. 'Just saw Rafe, and he said, and I quote, tell your boy that we know what he did. What is that?' She asks as she hands us our drinks, our eyes widen in shock as Pope looks at JJ with complete fear.

'Where is he?' JJ asks as Kie looks around the park. 'Right there.' She answers turning around as Pope and I follow her line of vision. Topper caught my gaze and raised his cup to me with a smirk plastered on his face as I flipped him off. 'Great, the whole death squad.' Pope sighs in frustration. 'Don't stare, bro.' JJ hisses turning Pope's head back around. 'Just warning you, bro. If they corner me I'm coming out swinging, okay? And you, don't go anywhere alone.' He tells me sternly and I nod. 'Slice and dice, I'm on edge right now. If that doesn't work, I got this right here.' JJ states picking up his bag and showing a peak of the gun to us. 'Yeah, yeah.' Pope breathes and I sigh. 'So, we just gotta stay in the group. They can't get us in the group.' Pope explains and JJ nods as Kie looks at us furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

'Like a school of fish.' JJ adds. 'Stay in the school. Can't leave the school.' Pope repeats as he leans back in his chair and taps his leg off the ground anxiously. 'I'm sorry, JJ. Please tell me that you did not bring a gun here.' Kie questions as I sigh, he nods at her before taking a sip from his drink. 'JJ, there are kids here.' Kie argues. 'No!' JJ lies. 'Kie, I didn't bring the gun. Everything's fine, okay?' JJ assures her and she scoffs before leaning back in her chair as the movie starts.

'Founding principles, you guys. No secrets amongst Pogues.' Kie mutters and we all look at her sympathetically. 'Kie..' I go to speak but she cuts me off. 'No, you all know something I don't so what was Rafe talking about?' She asks sternly and we all look at each other worriedly. 'Kie, it might go down tonight.' Pope states and I mentally face slap myself, a great way to convince Kie we aren't lying to her. 'What does that mean?' She asks directly looking at me. 'What did y'all do, Jackie?' She asks me and I sigh. 'Deny, deny, deny.' JJ whispers to Pope and I.

After that Kie decided to just forget about it and watch the movie since she knew we weren't going to tell her. I look back over my shoulder to see Rafe, Kelce and Topper still staring us down, I start to get anxious and begin tapping my fingers on my knee. JJ notices and places his hand on mine as we interlock hands and he looks at me with a reassuring smile. He leans in and gives me a quick kiss. 'It's okay, I'm here.' He whispers in my ear as I rest my head on his shoulder, watching the movie.