Chapter 4

{Beach Fight}

{Beach Fight}

After what happened, we all decided to head back to the Chateau. Fiddling with the necklace my father got me, I tried to wrap my head around why Scooter Grubbs was out in the storm. And how did he end up getting a Grady white? Nothing was making sense to any of us. 'Okay, so we didn't see anything. We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia.' Pope states pointing at each of us before sitting down beside Kie. 'Actually, Pope's right for once. See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny.' JJ agrees moving my legs off of his lap and gets up.

'Guys, we can't keep that money.' Kie demands. 'Okay, not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara.' JJ argues. 'And I'm only making tips at the Wreck, that's not enough for food or pay the bills.' I explain to her. 'We have to pass it off to Lana Grubbs, or else it's bad karma.' She argues looking at Pope for some backup. 'Bad mark to be implicated into a felony, too. We gotta go dark.' Pope agrees looking at all of us.

'If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree.' JJ says sitting down beside me again. ' I don't agree.' John B says looking at JJ before walking around the room. 'What? Why?' JJ questions him. 'Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about. Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time Jackie and I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag Marine rat, who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket. And all of a sudden he's got a Grady white?' My brother argues. 'Johnny, don't talk about him like that. The poor man just died.' I argue and he sighs. 'I'm sorry but it's true.' My brother shrugs and I sigh. 'I can't take this, I'm going fishing.' Pope says grabbing the fishing rod and walking down to the dock. Kie, JJ and I follow after him, as my brother waits a moment behind.

'All right, so think about it, Pope. How does a marine rat get a Grady-white?' John B questions walking down to the docks and standing beside Pope. 'Prostitution.' Pope answers and I roll my eyes. 'Square groupers, bro.' My brother states. 'Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. They don't do that stuff during a hurricane.' John B explains.

'What does that mean? JJ?' My brother asks looking at JJ. 'They were straight smuggling.' JJ replies before glancing at me. 'Smuggling.' My brother says. ''And I guarantee there's a serious amount of contraband in that wreck.' John B finishes. 'Hell yeah.' JJ exclaims reeling in a fish. You know, we could go to jail and I'll lose my scholarship.' Pope argues before walking away back inside, we all look at each other before following after him.

'For the record, if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else.' He says as we all sit around the bed in my brother's room. 'Minor details.' Kie says. 'They could come looking for it. Taking it would be catastrophically stupid.' He argues, JJ leans over the bed and takes the wad of cash. 'Right, well, stupid things have good outcomes all the time.' He points at the money in his hands.