Chapter 33

{Fugitive}

{Fugitive}

'John b, what are we doing at the police station?' JJ asks. 'Somebody's gotta tell them what happens.' John b sighs and tears fall from my eyes as I replay what my brother told us. Rafe came and killed Peterkin when she tried to arrest Ward. She's dead and my heart broke that I couldn't help her, I just ran away like a coward.

Pope begins to cough repeatedly as he chokes on the smoke. 'Easy there, chief.' JJ tells him but he rolls his eyes taking another hit. 'All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose.it's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is.' JJ informs my brother. 'Your old man's an abusive liar.' Kie retorts, JJ eyes widen in shock at her words and I send her a glare. 'I agree with JJ. Fuck the police.' Pope admits and Kie let's out a soft gasp at his words. 'You going to the dark side now?' Kie asks rolling her eyes and Pope scoffs. 'When's the last time the police helped us?' Pope retorts. 'Peterkin looked out for Jackie and I, all right?' John b says. 'Tried to, at least.' He mumbles before clearing his throat as a tear falls from my eyes. 'They need to know.' I mutter wiping away my tears. John b opens his door and gets out of the car, I let out a sigh before hopping out after him. 'What are you doing?' JJ asks cocking his eyebrows in confusion. 'He's my twin. I'm not going to let him do this alone.' I answer closing the door behind me and following after my brother towards the police station.

'Uh...excuse em, ma'am.' John b mutters as we walk closer to the reception desk. 'This is not a god time, kids.' She states. 'I know who shot the sheriff.' John b whispers and I sigh interlocking our hands and give his hand a reassuring squeeze. A faint smile appears on his face as he looks down at me. His smile fades away after a moment when we notice the women looking at us with her eyes widen in shock. 'You two stay put. I'll get a deputy.' She demands standing up from her chair and leaves the room. My brother paces around the room as I look at the clock. A walkie talkie on the desk starts to buzz. 'Central, three Vick. We have a suspect in our 31. John Booker Routledge.' Our eyes widen as we hear the deputy talking through the walkie talkie. My face goes as pale as a ghost and my lips go dry as I hear them mention my brothers name. 'Copy that. All units, be on lookout for John B Routledge. Sixteen year old white male. Six foot. Last seen wearing board shorts, a 'bad brains' t-shirt, and a faded red hoodie.' The deputy states through the walkie talkie, John b begins to panic as two deputy's walk into the room and look at my brother. 'Just..breathe. All right?' The female deputy says to my brother as I slowly start to back away from them. 'Let me see your hands.' The other deputy states and my brother shakes his head. 'John b, do what he says.' The female says. 'Look, I didn't...I didn't do it, okay?' John b speaks as his voice trembles in fire as he raises his hands. The deputy cocks his gun as John b grabs my hand and we sprint out of the station.

'Kie! Start the car!' John b and I yell as he sprint towards the car. 'Start the car, Kie!' John b yells as he quickly opens the passenger door and we hop in. 'What did you do?' Kie asks in fear. 'The cops!' He yells. 'Drive! Drive!' John b, JJ, Pope and I yell at Kie. 'I'm trying.' She says struggling to put the keys into the ignition. Kie starts the car after a moment and backs it up as one of the officers grab onto the door handle. I let out a scream as the officer hangs onto the door handle as we drive off. 'Open it! Open it!' Pope shouts at me. 'I'm so so sorry.' I give the officer an apologetic look before opening the door, making her fall to the ground. We all look at each other as the car falls into complete silence. We all try to catch our breath as Kie drives down the road. JJ pulls me in for a hug and places kisses all over my forehead and strokes my back trying to calm me down.

***

I wake up the next morning to the sound of Kie turning on the radio. I lay in the back seat, resting my head on Pope's lap as he plays with his fingers anxiously. John b sits in front of me looking out of the window and JJ lays back on his seat with his cap over his eyes as he lights his blunt. 'Good news for the residents of OuterBanks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area, should be functional within 24 hours. And still no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The states police have issued regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—' A reporter speaks through the radio. I let out a sigh as Kie scoffs and switches the radio off. 'Let's game this out.' JJ speaks up breaking the silence. 'Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but who are the cops going to believe?' JJ asks as he sighs of frustration. I look to the right of me and he looks at me with a sad expression.
'Ward Cameron or us?' JJ asks looking away from me as he takes a hit from his blunt. 'So the accuser is a big shot develop, kind of Lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused is John b, who is pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment.' JJ states and I glare at him. 'JJ..' I go to speak but he cuts me off. 'What, Jackie? It's the damn truth.' He snaps at me but after a moment his face softens as he looks at me apologetically and I sigh nodding my head.

'Shit.' John b curses as he rubs his temples in frustration. 'Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?' He questions and my brother sighs. 'Enough with the Mexico bullshit. All right? Sarah will bail me out.' John b states and we all look at him. 'She did witness the whole thing.' I shrug and my brother nods. 'Thank you.' He says. 'And she's gonna snitch on her brother?' Pope asks. 'Not happening, bro. Okay? We've got to get you...' JJ clears his throat and takes a deepbreath before continuing his sentence. 'And Jackie off this island.' He mutters. 'No.' I shake my head in disagreement. 'The feet it's the only way out.' Pope states ignoring me. 'Yeah, exit stage left while you can, before the sun tire island is on lock down.' JJ agrees. 'This isn't happening.' I raise my voice grabbing their attention. 'I'm not leaving this island. I can't...I can't leave you, JJ.' I whisper looking at my feet, I didn't have the courage to look him in the eye. 'Y-You can't stay here, Jackie. Even if John b gets away with it they'll still come after you. You're his sister. They'll bring you in for questioning.' JJ declares and I sigh knowing what he said is true. 'He's right, Jackie.' My brother sighs as he looks at me apologetically. I just nod my head before facing my head towards the window trying to control the tears from surfacing. 'Jackie.' JJ whispers as he climbs backseat to me as Kie starts the car up. 'I'm sorry it's come down to this.' JJ whispers as he wraps his arm around my back and with his other hand turning my face to meet his. I rest my head against his as tears stream down my face. 'I love you.' I whisper to him as I see tears fall from his eyes. 'I love you so much, Jackie.' JJ sobs as he pulls me into a hug. 'Next stop the Ferry.' Kie states as she pulls onto the road.

To be Continued...