Chapter 41

{Back To School}

{Back To School}

The next morning, I wake up due to my alarm clock ringing five times at 5:30am. I go into the bathroom and turn the tap on and fill the bath with lukewarm water. I throw off my pyjamas and toss them into the laundry basket before hopping into the bath.

After 20 minutes, I turn off the tap and hop out of the shower wrapping my hair and body in a towel. As I glance at my reflection in the mirror, I couldn't recognise the seventeen year old girl looking back. What happened to the girl that used to be so joyful and adventurous...what happened to her? Did losing my brother really mess me up for life? Will I ever find happiness again? In Outerbanks? Or somewhere else? I take a deepbreath. 'Stop it, Jackie.' I whisper looking away from the mirror and walking into my bedroom. I walk over to my wardrobe and put on my high waisted ripped jeans, and my purple tank hoodie. I put on a pair of sneakers and tie my hair up in a messy bun and apply some makeup onto my face. 'Breakfast is ready.' Greta's voice echos through the hallway. 'Coming.' I call back as I grab my bag and phone and close my bedroom door walking downstairs.

'Morning.' I smile as I walk into the kitchen and grab an apple and take a bite from it, sitting on top of the counter. 'How was the party last night?' Greta asks as she flips the pancakes on the pan. I take a deepbreath as I remember the fight that happened last night and my argument with JJ. 'Alright.' I sigh taking another bite from the apple. 'That's good. You excited to go back to school?' She asks as she places the pancakes and maple syrup in front of me. 'Nope.' I reply and she sighs in frustration. 'It's going to be okay. If anything happens just call me and I'll collect you.' She says pressing her hand on my cheek and kisses my forehead. 'Anyways, I got to get to work. See you later, love you.' She says grabbing her bag and begins to leave the room. 'Bye, love you too.' I yell as she closes the front door. I quickly eat the rest of my pancakes and drink the rest of my coffee before grabbing the car keys and make my way to the garage. Thank god, Greta and Vivian let me get my own car a week ago. I've never gotten something so expensive and amazing before and I'm so grateful for them. I also promised to pay them back after I finish school and get a proper job.

I quickly drive out the driveway and make my way over to Topper's house, which was only a five minute drive for me and a fifteen minute walk. I pull up outside his house and honk the horn twice. He opens the front door and waves at me before jogging down to the car and hopping into the passenger seat. 'You ready for the first day?' He asks. 'Not really. We better be in the same class or I'll die.' I roll my eyes and he nods in agreement. 'It's going to be okay.' He says as I drive away from his house. Once we pulled up to the school and parked everyone's eyes started to look at Topper and I as we hop out of the car. My eyes immediately go to JJ, Pope and Kie and their eyes meet mine as well. Kie sends me a faint smile, Pope lifts his hand a little and waves at me while JJ just fixes his hat and turns away from me walking towards the school. I let out a sigh as Topper wraps his arm around my shoulder. 'You got this!' He reassures me and a faint smile appears on my face as we begin to walk towards the school.