Chapter 18

{Midsummers Part 2}

{Midsummers Part 2}

'Hi.' I say softly as I stop right in front of him looking at the ground nervously, I notice the biggest smile appear on his face. 'You-You look beautiful, Jackie.' He says and I look up at him, tears begin to fall from my eyes. 'I missed you.' I cry closing the gap between us and wrap my arms around him as I pull him in for a hug, his head resting on my shoulder. 'What happened?' I ask as I pull away from the hug looking up at his bruised face.

'Did he..' I begin to speak gently placing my fingers on one of his bruises. 'Y-Yes. Nothing that hasn't happened before.' He says trying to brush the topic off, but I frown. 'I'm so sorry, bro. I shouldn't have let you take the fall for me.' Pope starts to panic but JJ quickly grabs his face. 'It's okay, Pope. I'm okay.' He assures him as he lets go of Pope and places his hand around my waist. 'Dude, I'm sick of all this shit, man.' Pope argues. 'You're sick? You don't seem sick.' JJ states and I let out a chuckle.

'I'm sick on the inside.' Pope argues. 'Right. Well, I already knew that.' JJ says. 'Did, uh, Shoupe do that?' Pope asks pointing at the cuts and bruises on JJ's face. 'Oh, this? No. This is—it's my dad. You know? Has that right jab. Can snap it off at times.' JJ says looking at the ground and I sigh. 'That looks like more than a jab, bro.' Pope sighs. 'As I said to Jackie, it's nothing that hasn't happened before.' He shrugs. 'It's all my fault.' Pope says and JJ shakes his head. 'No, it's not. Shut up.' JJ tells him but Pope continues to blame himself. 'Shut up.' JJ speaks a little bit louder. 'I'll tell the truth, go to the cops—' Pope panics but JJ quickly grabs his face. 'Shut up, Pope! Shut up. For once in your life, trust someone else. John B and I got it all sorted out.' JJ assures him and my eyes widen at the mention of my brother.

'You've seen Johnny? Is he okay?' I ask JJ and he looks at me with a smile before nodding and I take a deep breath of relief knowing my brother is safe and okay. 'We're gonna be filthy rich, man.' JJ laughs as Pope's worried expression turns into a happy one, JJ turns around to me and places two of his hands on my waist as he pulls me closer to him.

'We're back in the G-game, baby.' He smiles at me and I wrap my arms around his neck. 'I love you, I love you so fucking much.' I smile at him. 'I love you too, Jackie.' He says before placing a kiss on my lips. 'G-game? I thought we lost the gold game?' Pope asks raising his eyebrows in confusion and JJ chuckles turning around to face him. 'Yeah, well, we're in overtime now. Fourth and one, bro. Be right back.' He says patting Pope on the shoulder, turning around and placing a kiss on my forehead before walking away.

***

JJ left out of nowhere to go do something while I was left with Pope, I decided to go find Kie and we went to the bathroom, to top our makeup. As we walk back outside on the porch, I hear a very familiar voice speak up. 'Look—look, man, I can walk myself.' JJ yells as my head snaps in the same direction as everyone else. 'I got legs. Can you see that, brother?' JJ yells louder and I look at Kie worriedly.

I walk a little bit closer as I see JJ being dragged out of the place by security. 'Mr. Dunleavy, I see you got your drink. Good, that's nice of you. I'm gonna down that.' JJ says grabbing the drink from the man and knocking it back. The security guard continues to drag JJ away, catching more attention from the Kooks. 'It's okay, everybody! Do not panic!' JJ raised his voice and I couldn't help but chuckle.

'Let's leave it for the men and women in uniform, huh? Let's hear it for them!' JJ applauds. All of a sudden I hear Kie speak up beside me. 'Let go of him.' She shouts as people look at her and I, her parents step closer trying to silence her. 'I'm a member of this club! I invited him here!' She announces. The security man stops in his tracks and JJ shoves him back into a few people. 'Sorry about that. Hey, mandatory power hour at Rixon's.' He points at Kie and I. 'Pope, you as well, all right?' He continues walking away as Kie and I follow behind him. 'Rixon's cover, let's roll.' He says as we all run out of the party together.

'Whoo!' I yell as we run down towards the beach. 'John b?' I mutter shockedly as my brother stands not even six feet away from me. 'Missed me?' He asks with a smirk and I throw my arms around his neck pulling him into a hug. 'Colonel!' JJ salutes to my brother walking beside me as we pull away from our hug. 'Captain.' My brother salutes him back.

'Mission accomplished, sir.' JJ smiles as Pope, Kie and John B have a group hug and JJ picks me up and twirls me around in the air. He places me back on the ground after a moment and pulls me in for a deep kiss. 'Come on, lovebirds. Save that for the bedroom.' Kie teases and JJ and I chuckle as we pull apart. We interlock hands as the five of us run towards the van, laughing aloud, with the biggest smiles plastered across each of our faces.

Many people would say we look like a bunch of lunatics, but that's not true. We're a family and families are fucking crazy. This little perfect family is way beyond crazy. We're all opposites but so alike at the same time, we strive for freedom, fun and love. Together we're strong and I couldn't have been more happier in my 16 years of life.

To Be Continued...